CoinPeople.com

What would you pay?

16d

Consider running across a coin set containing 26 coins, one for each letter of the alphabet, would you fancy getting a set, or better yet; one for a y.n. or cheap xmas gift? Just wondering. I've made these for grandkids, thier friends,my friends and given these out as boy scout awards. I really can't think of anything much different, other than offering a given amount of coins from their birth year. Perhaps a handful of coins with animals of the birthyear. It's just that I have thousands of dup.s I need to unload. It would take forevever to sell singely, and I've found that out. Just seems the season to thin out the herd. Wada u think? What would be a respectible price. Keep in mind most are 1850-1950. Thanks

Consider running across a coin set containing 26 coins, one for each letter of the alphabet, would you fancy getting a set, or better yet; one for a y.n. or cheap xmas gift? Just wondering. I've made these for grandkids, thier friends,my friends and given these out as boy scout awards. I really can't think of anything much different, other than offering a given amount of coins from their birth year. Perhaps a handful of coins with animals of the birthyear. It's just that I have thousands of dup.s I need to unload. It would take forevever to sell singely, and I've found that out. Just seems the season to thin out the herd. Wada u think? What would be a respectible price. Keep in mind most are 1850-1950. Thanks

Hmmm, I don't know but let me know when you figure it out,I might grab a set for my Grandson!

He's told me all year that all he want's from Santa is coins..LoL :ninja:

I personally wouldn't want to buy a full/complete set. I'd be much more interested in partials. I think that's a better way to get kids started on collecting. Get them half way there, hook them, and let them race for the rest.

I personally wouldn't want to buy a full/complete set. I'd be much more interested in partials. I think that's a better way to get kids started on collecting. Get them half way there, hook them, and let them race for the rest.

You are exactly right about that!!

That's the thrill of the hobby :ninja: Because since I started doing this myself,he find's alot all on his own.......and i buy rolls for him too check too,and he can spot one quicker than a bullet,even if it's buried somewhere ;)

But the reason I thought I might do this is only because he said,That's what he want's for x-mas but the thing is.....he want's coin's like he saw in my bible.....LoL I don't even have a clueeee where to look........... ;) Something about them to him I guess,Yesterday I found a bahamian cent ;) In my last box.......I was so excited!!!!!! But I am gonna give it to him at x-mas!!

I very much appreciate your guidance though!! Mean's alot to me!

Thanx!

Interesting subject. However, there is many things to consider using coins as a gift for kids. To start with remember that a childs interests are sporatic and usually temporary. Pending thier ages too they may just blurt out I want this or I want that and later don't ever remember what they asked for. Some will really apear interested in coins and as thier friends discuss the latest computer game, coins will fanish from thier interest. Many, many coin collections are sitting on shelves or in closets due to loss of intereste.

Then too the difficulty for a child to acquire coins needed also is a rather discouraging situation. They can not in most cases get to a coin store, coin show, coin clubs. If relying on the internet, they can and usually do get taken by someone on ebay.

Not to be pessimistic but you really have to analize the child for a possible future in coin collecting. If you look around you'll see kids with mountains of baseball/football cards, Hot Wheels, Beanie Babies, stickers, etc and all sitting on a shelf somewhere.

Again, pending the age of the child I would try just giving them a real pile of old coins and a copy of the Red Book. Also, maybe a coin Album for pennies. I well remember attempting to get my Son into coins. Now many years later he is married with kids of his own and NONE are interested in coins.

Archived