CoinPeople.com

Soviet 5 Rouble Commemorative Coins

Rhino

The 5 rouble soviet coins, with David's monument, the Archangel's cathedral, the Armenian institute, and the Soviet Bank, were those circulated? Or were they just commemorative UNC ones? I have those 4 that I mentioned, but I've talked to a few people from the former Soviet Union who have never seen them before :ninja: . Thanks!

The 5 rouble soviet coins, with David's monument, the Archangel's cathedral, the Armenian institute, and the Soviet Bank, were those circulated? Or were they just commemorative UNC ones? I have those 4 that I mentioned, but I've talked to a few people from the former Soviet Union who have never seen them before :ninja: . Thanks!

to my memory it was as the following:

once new issue of commemorative coin was annonunced in newspaper, there were possiibility to purchase this coins from a bank if you had some friends there, otherwise all new issue were given out to dark market in most to get a profit and very rarely were in circulation; also numismatic clubs from all over the country (Soviet Union) sent their representative to Moscow, Pushkinskaya street, Mezhnumizmatika, to get some quantities for their club members; some folks who had friends in Banks could get some rubles to re-sell and for profit because of high demand from russian population; also these and others were used as perfect gift or used very widely for bribes in Russia ;)

Actually I bought several of them, because then in USSR it was not really legal to take ruble banknotes out of USSR(though I did anyway), but I had extra rubles at the end of the trip and exchanged them for the commemorative coins at a kiosk in the airport. The coins were not really circulated, much like the dollar coins in the USA, you could find them occasionally at banks or stores - but practically no one spent them - they were saved as souvenirs.

... but practically no one spent them - they were saved as souvenirs.

it is correct.

but dark market was always at that time for those.

Wow, that's really interesting... thanks for the responses guys!

you are welcome :ninja:

Archived