CoinPeople.com

Interesting British Token

Could do with some help on this token - does anyone know anything about this one?

Almost Halfpenny size, C19 token "Walter J. Smith (12) / S.A. Daniell | Maker | 52 | St. Paul's Square | Birmingham"

vqgxae.jpg

2mzgz82.jpg

It look like S.A. Daniell was just the maker of the token??

LINK for more of the tokens he made so yes he was the maker of your token.

Walter J. Smith Bexhill 12 bushels Hop Token ~ A brass hop token for 12 Bushels. Issued in the mid 19th century by Walter J Smith at Great Worsham Farm in Bexhill. Hop tokens were used to ‘pay’ workers for picking hops. It was a form of truck payment as the tokens could often only be spent in the company store. During the first few decades of the 20th century many poor London families would decamp to Kent or Sussex to pick hops, it was their summer holiday.

• 1 year later...

Could do with some help on this token - does anyone know anything about this one?

Almost Halfpenny size, C19 token "Walter J. Smith (12) / S.A. Daniell | Maker | 52 | St. Paul's Square | Birmingham"

vqgxae.jpg

2mzgz82.jpg

It look like S.A. Daniell was just the maker of the token??

Hello

I am a new member to this forum.

I was interested to see Walter John Smith's Hop Token, from a family research point of view

Walter John Smith is my Great Grand Uncle b: Braughing, Hertfordshire in 1841

He was a farmer Great Worsham Farm in Bexhill, Sussex from late 1800's up until he died in 1925 aged 83.

Census records put Walter John Smith as a Farmer at Great Worsham farm in 1871 to 1925

Walter John Smith was definately not at Great Worsham farm in 1861

So the coin would be possibly dated sometime after 1861, and definately from 1871 to 1925 when he died

There is/are Walter John Smith Hop Token/s at the Fitzwilliam Museum in Cambridge, England.

Hope this is helpful and please look after my ancestor coin :)

Kind regards from Rox

Samuel Allen Daniell of 52 St. Paul's Sqr. Birmingham England where he was active between 1861/2-1873, later he relocated to the Lion Works, Edward Street, he was mainly a token maker(for pubs, guilds etc) his trades are listed as die-sinker, seal engraver, press and tool maker. So as you can see the maker of your relatives token was only active between 1861/1862-1873 at that address on the token, so we can date the manufacture of the token to that period, with the latest date being 1873, though it might have still been in use much later :)

Here is one of his tokens produced after he moved premises in 1873 with his new address on Edward St.

phpThumb_cache_www.bmagic.org.uk_src6085304675f281efdb2396763c2d778b_par8e7f0284565cde1c962acb6cd7342663_dat1237481605.jpeg

• 1 year later...

I opt for uploading images to Photobucket(a free photo hosting service) & copy the "Direct link" which drops down when you hover over the picture you just uploaded, then you just click the picture frame(just below the smiley face) in the bar above your post here in this forum & paste that direct link into the box that appears. Sounds complicated but it is not. If you have a problem just ask away as we are always willing to help.

A belated welcome :art: