CoinPeople.com

Olive oil cleaning

numismatic nut

• 2 weeks later...

Please don't clean that coin! What I'm seeing is natural copper aging. No two large cents are going to color evenly over time, and any collection which shows all coins the same color looks artificial and cleaned! If you don't like the looks of the coin, I do know where it can find a good home! :ninja: Just kidding, but seriously, I love large cents, and would hate to see one ruined!

Please don't clean that coin! What I'm seeing is natural copper aging. No two large cents are going to color evenly over time, and any collection which shows all coins the same color looks artificial and cleaned! If you don't like the looks of the coin, I do know where it can find a good home! :ninja: Just kidding, but seriously, I love large cents, and would hate to see one ruined!

This is generally the rule, and I agree wholeheartedly. Where I do make an exception is with verdigris on copper coins, which can actually grow if not stopped. Olive oil provides a natural way to get rid of it without damaging the patina -- unless it is very extensive, in which case it will take longer and possibly remove more of the patina than one would like.

Almost all ancient coins have been cleaned at some point, and frequently with olive oil.

• 2 weeks later...

Just once more. Please remember that all manufactured products are different pending the method of manufacturing. Even Olive Oil is made. It is not something that is the same all the time. Some of it contains a mild acid that is what may have removed some of the so called Verdigris. And that too is vague since the green colorazions on coins may be due to many different chemicals so the Olive Oil may end up doing more harm than good. People just have no idea how many substances are chemically different.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

0032.jpg

Note in the photo the differences in colorations and possible damage to these coins. Actually all were really bad with contaminations, dirt, pot marks and just a mess. All were given to me since thery were considered useless. All were placed in Olive Oils, paint thinners to remove the Olive Oils, Acetone, rinsed with distilled water. All done over a period of time and then placed on an indoor window sill. Note the differences in the final results on all coins. A sort of a conclusion is no two coins are the same and the results using the same materials together at the same time, same time frame, all else the same may or may not have the same results.

Note the completely discoloration on the large cent not present on other Copper coins. Also, similar discolorations on the Indian Head Cent. The 1919 Lincoln Cent too turned dark. HMMMM

Archived