CoinPeople.com

Serbian 10 billion Dinar, no serial number?

KevDownUnderInOz

Hello folks,

while continuing the 'looking at things hard' project here, I came across another note that has caused the head scratching again. :ninja:

It is a single Serbian 10 Billion Dinar note from 1993.

In the SCWPM it is Croatia R28.

The image in the catalogue shows that it should have a serial number.

This one does not have a serial number.

I would like to ask if this is a common thing?

I placed some 300 dpi scans of both sides here on my site.

http://www.vk3ukf.com/vk3ukf_files/AllNumi...oNumberNote.htm

serbia-1993-R28-002-TN.jpg

I know nothing about these notes other than looking them up in swpm, but in my copy, the photos of the previous issues have serial numbers, but the photo of R28 has no serial number on it. Unless I'm missing something, it looks just like the one you've posted. They also list a Specimen version of the note, R28s, and often specimens have no serial number, or the numbers 00000. So I'm guessing either that's the normal issued note, or it's a specimen.

Dave

Hi Dave,

the SCWPM shows an image of only one side of R28.

Unfortunately it is the incorrect side of the note that is supposed to carry the serial number.

If you look at the banknotes previous to R28, you will see that the side that displays or should display a serial number, is the coat of arms side of the banknote.

The image of the 'castle' side of the note has the signature.

The castle side of the banknote Croatia R28 is note shown in the Pick catalogue.

The coat of arms side is not, that is the side, that has the serial number.

Contrary to this, if you look at Croatia R24. Here it does display the coat of arms side but not the castle side of the banknote. This R24 shows the serial number where I would have thought my R28 should have one.

Another SCWPM anomaly.

We're operating off different versions of SCWPM, it seems. The 14th Ed is what I'm looking at, and both sides of R28 are pictured. The reverse side (coat of arms) does not show a serial number, unlike all the previous pictured issues which do show a serial number.

Croatia R24 shows as you describe, with serial number.

But whether this is some oddity of the scan in SCWPM, I don't know...

Dave

Hi Dave, I see now.

I have the 10th edition.

My eyebrows raised because the only image I could find of R28 was on hebay and it had a serial number.

If it is in the catalogoue with no serial number, I guess there are a pile with and another pile without a serial number.

I will have to get one with a number now.

There's more to know here somewhere, like how many had a number and how many had no number, and as you mention above, perhaps the nonum note is a specimen.

:-)

• 2 weeks later...

most all of these notes can be found without serial numbers, and are remainders. they were printed by ZIN (Belgrade, Serbia), and as the war progressed, (or shall I say digressed) the hyper-inflation made some of these notes obsolete as soon as the ink dried. Many were numbered and shipped to the proper region (both the Krajina region of Croatia and the Srpske Republike region of Bosnia proper had very similar notes), but many never were sent at the time, but later distributed without the serial numbers. The remainders (without serial numbers) are often easier to obtain than the replacement ("Z" prefix) notes.

Archived