CoinPeople.com

Bank of Scotland 1968 1 pound Pick # 109a green not brown?

KevDownUnderInOz

Hello folks,

I have recently come across a Bank of Scotland 1968 1 pound Pick # 109a that is green like the 5 pound.

scotlandpound6869f.JPG

I am unaware of green 1 pound notes.

Please see the page below for the big pic.

Bank of Scotland 1968 1 pound pick # 109a green instead of ochre or brown.

If anyone has any clues, please let's hear them.

Thanks.

This was the last issue of Bank of Scotland notes that Waterstons and Sons printed, having invested in all new printing equipment to do so. There were nominal, minor, printing issues with colours, but this appears as though something chemically was done to the note after it left the bank, perhaps bleach?

This was the last issue of Bank of Scotland notes that Waterstons and Sons printed, having invested in all new printing equipment to do so. There were nominal, minor, printing issues with colours, but this appears as though something chemically was done to the note after it left the bank, perhaps bleach?

Hello Scottishmoney, thanks for popping in.

It seems a shame that after getting a pile of new equipment they lost out to De La Rue.

That's business.

So, do you think that the variations of the width of the note and the density of the date font are consistent with some early runs perhaps. The thing with the colours at the moment is, and this will probably be getting into organic chemistry or something, all the other colours seem fine.

The last point was my Fathers point on the matter, I countered with perhaps due to the chemistry, the bleach or whatever caused any alteration only acted on one colour, due to its inherent chemical nature and makeup, leaving the other colours unaltered or less noticably affected, those ones being more 'fast' in that instance of treatment.

I am still at the moment and probably for a while going to be gigging at all of these specimens that I can find for comparisons.

Luckily there are generally one or two on ebay every now and then to look at.

Perhaps I will get a real scungey one and expeirment with some various things that 'Ma' may have washed the dungarees in.

I'll be watching those serial numbers for something nearby.

I haven't read around these forums for ages and ages. Catching up I am.

I only found out the other day about the W.H. Egan engravers mark on the plates he made.

Funny story, cheeky. I off course ran away and grabbed the microscope, sure enough, there was the sneaky personal mark hidden upside down in the cobblestones on a design on the banknote.

I did laugh.

But this green thing here, I am leaning toward altered in the wash, my father leans toward the funny print run.

I haven't read around these forums for ages and ages. Catching up I am.

I only found out the other day about the W.H. Egan engravers mark on the plates he made.

Funny story, cheeky. I off course ran away and grabbed the microscope, sure enough, there was the sneaky personal mark hidden upside down in the cobblestones on a design on the banknote.

I did laugh.

But this green thing here, I am leaning toward altered in the wash, my father leans toward the funny print run.

W.H. Egan admitted as much quite a bit later on, but of course the evidence is quite the damning all the whiles prior:

rbs1dtl1.jpg

rbs1dtl2.jpg

Archived