CoinPeople.com

Luise of Prussia - Centenary of death medal

The perfect profile of the Queen Luise of Prussia (1776-1810) on this nice medal (m 33). Below, there are the letters M. & W. ST. It would be interesting to know what they mean (engraver, producer?)

LuisaPrussia_1910.jpg

"Below, there are the letters M. & W. ST. It would be interesting to know what they mean (engraver, producer?)"

Hi Damiano, M.&W. ST. is the mark for Mayer, Wilhelm & Frantz Wilhelm or The Stuttgarter Metallwaren Fabrik in Germany. This was a die-sinking establishment founded in 1860 by Wilhelm Mayer, Sculptor and Engraver, and directed since 1876 by him and his brother-in-law Frantz Wilhelm.

They made far too many medals to list but won many prizes for them. Further details can be found in Forrer, Biographical Dictionary of Medallists, Volume III pg.638. I see that Google has scanned this set of reference books and you can Google "Forrer" to either read the text on line or download the entire dictionary set to PDF. This is a $500 set of books in hardcopy.

Enjoy.

Hi Damiano, M.&W. ST. is the mark for Mayer, Wilhelm & Frantz Wilhelm or The Stuttgarter Metallwaren Fabrik in Germany. This was a die-sinking establishment founded in 1860 by Wilhelm Mayer, Sculptor and Engraver, and directed since 1876 by him and his brother-in-law Frantz Wilhelm.

They made far too many medals to list but won many prizes for them. Further details can be found in Forrer, Biographical Dictionary of Medallists, Volume III pg.638. I see that Google has scanned this set of reference books and you can Google "Forrer" to either read the text on line or download the entire dictionary set to PDF. This is a $500 set of books in hardcopy.

Thank you very much for your information and also for the news about the precious text of Forrer, which I could only look up in a library sometimes

Archived