CoinPeople.com

Indonesia 1964 Series Sen Notes Question

Cassius622

Greetings all,

I just picked up a lot of what appears to be the most common type of obsolete foreign currency in the world, 1964 series Sen notes in 1, 5 and 10 Sen denominations.

Okay, I know fully well these things are pretty much worth nothing since they're so incredibly common. I think they were literally even giving them out in cereal boxes years ago!

What I'm interested in is: What's the story behind these notes? Why are there so many uncirculated bills still around, and what was going on at the time? I'm guessing these were the bills that were recalled when Indonesia was trying to revalue the currency to stop inflation...

These things are just a puzzle to me. I can't imagine why they weren't destroyed, and how on earth they're still showing up in bundles 45 years later.

I haven't really been able to find any information on the Internet. A few places have them for *sale*, with basically no descriptive text. If you know some real background about these things, or know of a website I've missed, please post or email me!

Many thanks,

Will

• 1 month later...
Great question, Will! Welcome to CP! I look forward to an answer to your post.

I was looking forward to an answer also... but there were NO replies. I'm pretty shocked that nobody knows anything about these extremely common banknotes! They've been available in such large quantities for so long I figured everyone but me must have heard their story. Anyone at least have an idea about how else I would pursue the background info on 1964 series Indonesian banknotes??

Thanks,

Will

I remember getting them in Cheerios boxes when I was a kid.

Basically what happened was these small change notes were printed in the hundreds of millions then the rupiah rapidly depreciated in value rendering these notes completely worthless, though I believe they are still legal tender. Now there are something like 10000 rupiah to the dollar, and Indonesia has never revalued the currency.

These sen notes were issued just in the run up to a very turbulent time in Indonesia, the Suharto / Sukarno debacle, military rule, dictatorship. That explains a lot about why the currency depreciated so quickly in value.

BTW when I was in China a couple of years ago I was able to buy bundles of 1000 notes each of the 1950's era small change notes. They printed so many of them, and they tended to not always circulate. So even now they turn up in thousands.

Archived