CoinPeople.com

Can someone look at the edge of 1970 10 gulden please?

sandy3075

I've got a rather ugly :ninja: KM-195 10 gulden commemorating 25'th anniversary of libration. the only thing that got me curious is that unlike spelling in Krause there is a large space between Z and IJ on the edge lettering. Or maybe someone just know that it is properly spelled separated in Dutch. Thrilled that maybe I found a variety ;) ;). Just kidding.

966469.jpg

The default edge inscription on Dutch coins (well, on those that have text on the edge ;) ) is GOD ZIJ MET ONS - God be with us. Now the "IJ" combination is, typographically, often treated as if it was one character. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IJ_(digraph)#...-letter_spacing Also, if words that begin with IJ are at the beginning of a sentence (or are proper names), both the I and the J are capitalized. So you write Amsterdam but IJmuiden ...

If you're desperately searching for a misspelled word, look at how "collection" is written in the two images. :ninja:

Christian

Thank you Christian. So do I understand you correctly that normally the edge enscryption will be a single word ZIJ? In my case there is an almost equal spacing between the * separating each one of 4 words from each other and between Z and IJ

966562.jpg

P.S. And yes, I'll fix the spelling :ninja:.

In the case of the edge inscription, the IJ is treated like one single character. So you have

G

O

D

Z

IJ

M

E

T

O

N

S

Here I arranged the letters vertically; on the coins they are in a horizontal line of course. :ninja: So if you think of "IJ" as one letter, just like the Z or the M, the spacing makes sense.

By the way, on some older Dutch coins, roughly until 1900, you can see the spelling GOD ZY MET ONS. Thus, a Y instead of IJ ...

Christian

Archived