CoinPeople.com

1807 - Loge des Commandeurs du Mont-Thabor, France

1807 - Loge des Commandeurs du Mont-Thabor, France

964198.jpg

Bramsen 714 - Details - 31mm - RR

d'Essling 2121

Marvin CLXIX

All Masonic medals of the Revolutionary and First Empire periods are rare. Some appear more often than others but the relative rarity is just that, relative. Unlike the famous and common Sketchley (or Scetchly) tokens of the 1790s which commemorated the Prince of Wales' election as Grand Master, Lodge medals seldom commemorated an event that the outside world would recognize and appear to have functioned as a token of appreciation for a job well done in most.

Though I'm not a Mason myself I'm fascinated by the place the lodges held in many countries and in many critical historical events. That's not to say that the lodges themselves participated in those events; in fact they often just provided like-minded men a place to meet and plot, even if their brethern had little idea what the coffee club in the corner was doing. I'm also fascinated by the symbolism and the beauty of the pieces. Though this is not one of the stunningly beautiful pieces I own I jumped on it like a dog hunting a rabbit until I won it on the French Bay a couple weeks back. :ninja:

Though I'm not a Mason myself I'm fascinated by the place the lodges held in many countries and in many critical historical events. That's not to say that the lodges themselves participated in those events; in fact they often just provided like-minded men a place to meet and plot, even if their brethern had little idea what the coffee club in the corner was doing.

Could not agree with you more. As you say it is not the organization per se but the type/quality of members it attracted and the opportunity it gave for conspiring. What a help(masonry) in keeping history 'on the boil' even if some writers go too far........ I find the 'truth' is fascinating enough without needing exaggeration.

I think you might be interested in this one Verne

964216.jpg

It does not appear in either Mitchiner or Feuardent, although it is referenced in Sammlung Julius.

Sadly, this dark toned piece is deceptive in that it is a later re-strike struck using the original dies and porting the `corne d'abondance' edge mark. Without the edge mark there would be no telling.

Archived