CoinPeople.com

19thC Silver Coin Diameter Tolerance

Hello.

A question has arisen regarding the diameter tolerance of an 1831 silver coin (Revolutionary 5 Zlot to be exact).

The nominal diameter is 31.4mm, but this example is observed to be just under 31.mm, a 0.4mm deviation.

Could somebody with expertise in the silver minting technology of 1831 (RWJ ?) offer their opinion on whether 0.4mm deviation is reasonable? I've seen that modern US & UK coins have a 0.1mm diameter tolerance.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Hello.

A question has arisen regarding the diameter tolerance of an 1831 silver coin (Revolutionary 5 Zlot to be exact).

The nominal diameter is 31.4mm, but this example is observed to be just under 31.mm, a 0.4mm deviation.

Could somebody with expertise in the silver minting technology of 1831 (RWJ ?) offer their opinion on whether 0.4mm deviation is reasonable? I've seen that modern US & UK coins have a 0.1mm diameter tolerance.

Thanks in advance, Steve

As a guess, the Mint technicians were experimenting with collars of slightly different sizes

to get the best quality strike. I do not see any problem with this difference.

As an example of such changes, the U.S. reeded-edge half dollar coinage of 1836-37 varied

considerably. According to Breen the diameters ranged from 29.5 to 31.6 mm. As the

Philadelphia Mint had the technical expertise to produce identical collars at this point in time,

the explanation presumably lies in the ease of coining and quality of the finished coin.

RWJ

As a guess, the Mint technicians were experimenting with collars of slightly different sizes

to get the best quality strike. I do not see any problem with this difference.

As an example of such changes, the U.S. reeded-edge half dollar coinage of 1836-37 varied

considerably. According to Breen the diameters ranged from 29.5 to 31.6 mm. As the

Philadelphia Mint had the technical expertise to produce identical collars at this point in time,

the explanation presumably lies in the ease of coining and quality of the finished coin.

RWJ

Thank you :ninja:

Hello.

Thanks in advance,

Picture???????

Steve

Hello.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

With no doubt - The best answer to your question is an article by V V Uzdenikov "To the question of standard dimensions of Russian coins 1700-1917", - Moscow 2000 - pp 146-162 including charts, pictures and references. Text in Russian. :ninja:

With no doubt - The best answer to your question is an article by V V Uzdenikov "To the question of standard dimensions of Russian coins 1700-1917", - Moscow 2000 - pp 146-162 including charts, pictures and references. Text in Russian. :ninja:

Thanks! In which book was this article published?

Thanks! In which book was this article published?

Essays on numismatics by V V Uzdenikov, Moscow 2000, published by Irina Kasatkina :ninja:

Archived