CoinPeople.com

My Gorny & Mosch coins (from auction 178)

bobh

I won lot #6746 and decided to travel to Munich myself (by train, all in one day!) to pick it up since the last time I won a 1908 poltina (from an eBay seller) it was stolen in the mail. ;)

While I was there, I looked at some of the unsold lots and found this beauty of a 1912 poltina (lot #6754; no images were published in the catalog. I'm convinced that this would have sold at a much higher price if they had included images of it -- but who am I to complain??? :ninja:):

RUSSIA_50_Kopeks_1912_toned_ex_GornyMosch_obv.jpg

RUSSIA_50_Kopeks_1912_toned_ex_GornyMosch_edge.jpg

RUSSIA_50_Kopeks_1912_toned_ex_GornyMosch_rev.jpg

Here is the big prize -- 1908 in XF or better (might have had an old cleaning at some time, though):

RUSSIA_50_Kopeks_1908_ex_GornyMosch_obv.jpg

RUSSIA_50_Kopeks_1908_ex_GornyMosch_edge.jpg

RUSSIA_50_Kopeks_1908_ex_GornyMosch_rev.jpg

Enjoy! ;)

Great coins, Bob!

Do other major auction houses have a 'gallery' of items for sale?

Also, I've taken the train from Munich to Zurich but that was 9 years ago. How long does it take? I don't remember it being more than a few hours but I was a kid.

Great coins, Bob!

Thanks!

Do other major auction houses have a 'gallery' of items for sale?

Most of them do offer their unsold lots for a discount on the estimate. Go to the website of the company, click on the "auctions" link and then there is usually something like "unsold lots". Or you can navigate to the prices realized and look for them.

Also, I've taken the train from Munich to Zurich but that was 9 years ago. How long does it take? I don't remember it being more than a few hours but I was a kid.

There are direct trains which take about 4-1/2 hours. Then there are some connections which require two or three changes of train, and those can take 5-6 hours. Fortunately, I had all day Monday free to travel. If I had never been to Munich before, I would have planned things differently and spent 2-3 days doing the tourist thing. But I've been to Munich several times in the past, been to the opera, seen the English Garden, eaten at the Augustiner, the Hofbräuhaus, etc. AND the weather right now in southern Germany is NOT conducive to strolling around the streets, so I decided to get it over with as quickly as possible.

It turned out to be quite a long day, because I had counted on being able to get off the direct train in Lindau, Germany on the way back and have my receipts from Gorny & Mosch stamped by the customs office there in order to get the VAT refunded. However, since the train stops first in Bregenz (which is in Austria) before continuing to Zurich, and Germany and Austria are both in the EU, there is no more customs office in Lindau! So I took the next train to Friedrichshafen and intended to take the Lake Constance ferry to Romanshorn where there is a "Zollamt" (customs duty officers at the ship). But it is a good 15 minute walk to the harbor from the train station, and the ferry was just pulling out of the docks as I arrived. I would have had to wait another hour for the next boat (this was already close to 7 PM after having gotten up at 5:30 AM in order to catch the 7:16 AM train to Munich :ninja: ), but there was another boat to Konstanz leaving at 7:02 PM, so I took that instead and crossed the border to Switzerland (on foot) in Konstanz and took the train from Kreuzlingen to Winterthur and changed from there to Zurich. Didn't get home until 10:30 PM or so.

But I got my coins safely back home! ;)

Most of them do offer their unsold lots for a discount on the estimate. Go to the website of the company, click on the "auctions" link and then there is usually something like "unsold lots". Or you can navigate to the prices realized and look for them.

But do they usually have galleries you can physically visit (like you did)?

Didn't get home until 10:30 PM or so.

What a great adventure. I wouldn't be surprised if you were happy to rant about Monday!

But do they usually have galleries you can physically visit (like you did)?

If they have a store front (as they usually do ... G&M, Künker, Hess-Divo, etc. all have physical store locations) ... then they will have those unsold coins. But you have to go to the catalog and pick the numbers you want to see, then there will usually be a helpful secretary to go get them for you to look at (and they don't leave you alone with those coins for a second! :ninja: ) You cannot just "browse" the coins because they aren't lying out in a display.

What a great adventure. I wouldn't be surprised if you were happy to rant about Monday!

Well, it was actually quite boring ... since we Europeans went on summer (daylight savings) time only last Sunday, getting up at 5:30 AM was actually 4:30 AM according to my internal clock. I slept most of the way from Zurich to Munich! And the detours on the way back were mostly a huge PITA.

If they have a store front (as they usually do ... G&M, Künker, Hess-Divo, etc. all have physical store locations) ... then they will have those unsold coins.

I went to my local coin show a few weeks ago and visited Dimitry Markovs table.

I had a chance to see (and touch etc) the unsold lots from this years New York Sale, and he was willing to hagle a bit on prices.

Unfortunately, he wanted cash only on those lots, and i was there to trade in some of my duplicates and other coins that i am generally bored with. He wasnt biting. So i went home with out anything new :ninja:

Archived