CoinPeople.com

Canadian victoria large cent (crosspost)

A nice looking coin, other than this imperfection near the rim that is visible on both sides. I don't know much about planchet flaws or the minting process, so I am unsure of what to make out of it. I don't think it is post-mint damage, but I suppose it is possible.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

1896-gibbled.JPG

More images of the full faces of the coin can be seen in my post in the Canadian coin forum.

Is the planchet actually cracked? That might best explain the error as opposed to post-mint damage.

It does appear to be a crack. But there's also that area on the reverse (side with the leaves) where the denticles are incomplete, which makes it look like maybe something was on the planchet when it was struck? The area in question seems slightly pushed into the coin.

It's likely a cracked planchet with a lamination or something on the denticles. If no metal was removed then it was struck on some sort of dirt/metal scrap that has since fallen off. Really neat broken planchet though, I love coins like that.

It looks as if the scrap piece of metal is still on the reverse and that is what caused the crack, the obverse appears to be pushed outwards towards the right of the crack. Is the planchet thicker there? it looks like a shadow to the left of the flaw on the reverse, which implies that area is still raised above the level it should be.

It's hard to tell, especially when the coin is encased in the PCGS holder. But it looks like there is an indent on the reverse, and the obverse side may be slightly pushed out. The obverse side is nearly flat though, except that the space between the denticle in that spot isn't there. It is puzzling because there is still a triangular shadow on the obv which makes it seem that there is an indent as well as a protrusion.

It doesn't look like there is any alien matter left on the reverse side, but looking back at it, it is very possible that there was something there during the striking, which later fell off.

There's also a strange looking die crack through the D on the obverse, here's a better pic of it and a couple more as well.

1896%20gibbled%202.JPG

Archived