CoinPeople.com

ANA Portland Money Show

bill

I finished my second day at the ANA Money Show. Friday was beuatiful in Portland, Saturday rainy and cold. Inside, the temperature was much higher as the turnout appeared to be very good with long lines waiting to register (unlike Friday). Walking the bourse area on Friday, many tables seemed to be doing little business with collectors except (it seemed) for those tables I wanted to visit. They seemed to always be busy. Now mind you, I am looking for ancients, so-called dollars, medals, and tokens, so fewer dealers in those areas concentrated the traffic. While I actually enjoy US coins, especially early coppers, it seems everyone has proof Morgan dollars, rare dates, etc on display. I was impressed with an offering of the Garret 1888 (? I may be a year or two off on the date) aluminum proof set (seated dollar through half dime, both three cents styles, shield nickel, two cent piece, and Indian head cent), a temptation for my aluminum fetish. Alas, I didn't think they would accept my offer of twice face value even if they were only aluminum. I also think I saw some high priced items move between dealers between Friday and Saturday, but that may have been faulty memory. If it was slow on Friday, the rain seemed to bring everyone out on Saturday and the registration lines were long and the bourse floor was crowded. Business may not have been much better, but it sure seemed busy compared to Friday.

I did make my contribution to the economic stimulus program and acquired one coin from the Roman Republican period, and about 15 medals and tokens. They will eventually make it into postings here. In all, I had my budget in cash and spent it all. I was tempted to pull out the checkbook once or twice, but I had just bought some nice so-called dollars before the show and in the end, I maintaind my discipline.

The real draw for me was the opportunity to meet the GoetzDude in person. Actually, he was second on my list. His collection of Gies medals was first on my list. His collection is spectacular and his anal attention to detail and presentation paid off with a first place ribbon in his category (Class 1: History). He has competition for best of show from only one other exhibit in my opinion (an exhibit of the tokens of Thomas Spence that once again tempted me into the world of Condor tokens). We'll see what happens in the final judging and people's choice voting. The Gies medals alone are spectular, but his layout and design equalled the quality of his materials. A professionally printed introductory panel with a photograph of the artist opened his display. The medals were then ordered by theme moving from the beginnings of war to the end result (Das Neue Chaos medal). Explanatory test was printed on a light colored "watercolor" paper displayed on a dark background. The medals themselves (almost all bronze or other darker color) were displayed on the same paper (with deckled edges) with his exceptional photographs of the reverse sides adjacent. His explanatory text included a discussion of the elements of style of each piece, something I hope was appreciated by the audience. All I can say is exceptionally well done!

Oh yeah, it was good to meet Scott as well and his lovely wife. The chance to meet a fellow collector from CoinPeople made the trip worthwhile. Seeing a portion of his incredible collection, priceless.

Next stop, LA in August.

While I actually enjoy US coins, especially early coppers, it seems everyone has proof Morgan dollars, rare dates, etc on display. I was impressed with an offering of the Garret 1888 (? I may be a year or two off on the date) aluminum proof set (seated dollar through half dime, both three cents styles, shield nickel, two cent piece, and Indian head cent), a temptation for my aluminum fetish.

Totally agree. Remember when dealers sold something other than Morgan dollars? I don't want to do series collecting if every other collector and his mom is collecting that series (sorry, Mark!).

Also, I love patterns. I don't blame you for lusting after those Al patterns.

PS. Great write up! Can't wait to see pics and hear from GoetzDude!

Archived