CoinPeople.com

Copper-nickel 37.5 roubles 1902

altyn

One can come across such coins on eBay from time to time. The last time I saw it, the listing said it is a 1991 restrike. At the same time, Bitkin refers to what seems to be the same coin as a novodel (#H316). However, I could not find this such coins in the Uzdennikov's or the Kazakov's catalogues. So, what are these things?

One can come across such coins on eBay from time to time. The last time I saw it, the listing said it is a 1991 restrike. At the same time, Bitkin refers to what seems to be the same coin as a novodel (#H316). However, I could not find this such coins in the Uzdennikov's or the Kazakov's catalogues. So, what are these things?

Technically speaking, they are novodels in the sense that they were struck officially by the mint, and the original dies (??) were used -- except that on the reverse, instead of "1902 г." it says "1902 г.р" (for "restrike").

Historically, they are more a curiosity than anything else. They are probably popular as placeholders because they are so cheap, and the originals are rare as hen's teeth (and somewhat more expensive, probably ... don't know what hen's teeth are selling for these days, but a genuine 37-1/2 rouble coin will go for $100,000 and upwards these days).

Thank you bobh, then it must be the St.Petersburg mint because that is where the original coin was struck. Also, if the dies were original, they still must have modified them to intriduce "г.р." Could they do such a thing to the original dies?

Thank you bobh, then it must be the St.Petersburg mint because that is where the original coin was struck. Also, if the dies were original, they still must have modified them to intriduce "г.р." Could they do such a thing to the original dies?

The original hubs were apparently still on hand and the working dies were made from these.

In the mid 1990s I inquired of Mezhnumizmatika about these pieces and was told that they

were done for a tourist organization in Russia, despite protests by Mezhnumizmatika.

The “P” was probably added to the working die although it is possible that a new hub was

made containing this added letter.

RWJ

Interestingly enough, although the coins were minted in St. Petersburg, they have a star on the edge just like other coins of that period which were actually minted in Paris.

As to the dies, RW Julian already answered it. :ninja:

Are there additional examples of similar restrikes/novodels of imperial coins made at a later time and clearly intended to serve as copies ? Therefore, I do not refer to the Soviet restrike of 10 and 5 rouble coins which they did in 1920-ies, or to modern Chinese "replicas" that we all are aware of, etc.

Are there additional examples of similar restrikes/novodels of imperial coins made at a later time and clearly intended to serve as copies ? Therefore, I do not refer to the Soviet restrike of 10 and 5 rouble coins which they did in 1920-ies, or to modern Chinese "replicas" that we all are aware of, etc.

The Gangut commemorative rouble of 1914 was restruck in limited quantities during the early 1920's. Also, the 1915 silver rouble was struck in unknown quantities after the revolution. Neither of the above issues, however, can be (easily) identified apart from the original strikes.

The 1991 restrike of the 1902 37-1/2 rouble coin, however, can be easily identified because of the letters after the date (as mentioned earlier in this thread) -- not to mention the different metal (although many of these restrikes appear to have been gold plated after their manufacture).

Archived