CoinPeople.com

Looks like one of the Chinese 50 kopek replicas has appeared

bobh

The seller says in the description that it is a "good copy". I'm pretty sure this must be one of the replicas sold by the Chinese seller with almost 700 fakes listed:

Fake 50 kopeks, 1913

There is a distinguishing mark on the obverse; however, I don't want to say what it is because it would be easily fixed.

Hi Bob.. do you mean this chinese seller...

http://stores.ebay.com/coins-hk168

I just received the 1749 MMD ruble from this guy, because i wanted to see for myself what these things are like ( A genuine Elizabeth ruble is on my want list..) Only cost $13 including shipping from china.

observations:

The "object" rings.

It did NOT have the word replica stamped on it, as the photo in the listing showed.

The fake patina is poorly done. BUT someone with talent could improve on that, i think, for a profit..

Under 10x loupe, the lettering is uniformly rounded at the shoulders, and not vertical.

The quality is better than obvious fakes I have seen. A very realistic strike. XF at best

I will not comment on accuracy or lack thereof of authentic detail, for obvious reasons.

In hand, it is easy to spot as a fake.

The edge is a machined reeded edge, poorly done, perhaps using a blank from some other fake of a 19th century coin.

Relief is perhaps a bit shallow.

Die axis is inverted.

Potentially very photogenic, but clearly junk when in hand, the lesson is thus: watch out for those deceptive sellers who will no doubt try to pass these. Always buy from sellers who provide a garantee of refund. All others are suspect.

Hi Bob.. do you mean this chinese seller...

http://stores.ebay.com/coins-hk168

That's one of them, all right ... there was another whose ID began with "robert" followed by several digits (not me, to be sure! ;) ), also from China.

I wonder if you could file an eBay claim "Item received significantly different than item bought" ... after all, you did win the auction for a coin with the word "REPLICA" stamped on it? :ninja:

I tried to win one of the poltinas, but most of the time was overbid by someone willing to pay a few dollars more than I felt comfortable with (a shill, perhaps?)

Thanks for sharing these pictures with us, Josh! ;)

Archived