CoinPeople.com

Washington Medal "Time Increases His Fame"

Cool.........reverse shows evidence of being double-struck:)

3dad81ea.jpg

55785ecf.jpg

Information on this medal:

Baker 91D Time increases his fame [1860-65] Kneass Philadelphia

Obverse: GEORGE WASHINGTON

Reverse: TIME / INCREASES / HIS / FAME.

Red bronze Weight: 281.6 g (18.25 grams) Diameter: 28.3 mm Reverse die alignment: 360°

Comments: This medal was struck at the U.S. mint in Philadelphia during the period 1860-1865.

The obverse die was engraved by William Kneass, chief engraver from 1824 through his death in 1840.

The reverse die was produced at the mint about 1860.

During the war years examples of this medal were issued in silver, copper, red bronze, aluminum and yellow bronze.

Copper examples continued to be struck from ca. 1860-1880 and yellow bronze restrikes are still available at the mint.

About a dozen special order examples were produced in gold between 1860 and 1900.

Taken from this website

http://www.coins.nd.edu/WashToken/WashToke...t/1860-69c.html

Lovely medal but a curious waste of space below & to the side of the bust, the bust could have been much larger, or more inscription used to fill the space. As it is, it looks out of balance design-wise. Still a medal I would be pleased to have in my collection

That is a curious thing....I wondered that myself.

Maybe since the obverse die was engraved by William Kneass, chief engraver from 1824 through his death in 1840.

The reverse die was produced at the mint about 1860.

Being that there was approximately 20 years between the obverse and reverse it may have

been designed for something else in mind.

Another curious thing is the double struck reverse.....Is this a variety or error?

Archived