CoinPeople.com

Dutch Copper Medal?

Not really. Hard to tell whether this is actually an old medal or a reproduction. The inscription on one side is:

D' vlugtende Americaane van Rohde Yland Aug 1776

which translates to "The fleeing Americans from Rhode Island August 1776". On the other side,

De admiraals flag van Admiraal Howe 1779

thus "The admiral's flag of Admiral Howe 1779"

Has obviously something to do with the war of independence in the US, but that is about all I can say ...

Christian

If you check my response to your earlier posting about your Ebay auction, it is a Rhode Island Ship Token typically collected as part of the colonial series and listed in Betts (Betts 563). Originals typical struck on cast brass planchets run in the $1000 to $2000 dollar range, although yours is weak along the top of the island and would probably run at the lower end of the range. One restrike from the 1930s is also collectible and featured the maker's initials at the high point of the waves under ship, the point is worn down on your example. I suspect yours is a modern copy, but I am not an expert on the series and have only examined one or two a long time ago.

A quick and dirty reference.

Thanks very much to both of you. I'm relisting it and will post a link in the ad forums.

I assume that means the previous buyer returned the item? The price as bid was extremely high for a modern copy and an incredible bargain for a genuine piece.

I assume that means the previous buyer returned the item? The price as bid was extremely high for a modern copy and an incredible bargain for a genuine piece.

Yes, the buyer returned it. He had asked in the closing minutes of the auction whether it was a coin or a medal, so I doubt he knew any more than I did about it. This one looks different from the pics of the 1936 copy I've seen. It looks more like red brass than bronze and is obviously worn from circulation. There's also some extremely hard verdigris on the surface which is unlikely to have formed in the short time a 1936 copy could have been in existence. I decided after further reading to send it off to be authenticated once I can determine which TPG service would be best. I have a "1st Steam Coinage" US Mint medal to send to NGC and may send the RI Token along with it.

Could be. I scanned his purchases and it sure looks to me like he knows what he is buying and he is cherry picking on Ebay, not the highest quality pieces but certainly historic colonial and British condor pieces. I suspect he was taking a chance on getting a real bargain with no risk because of your honest return policy. No proof, just my hunch. The Rhode Island token is listed in the colonial references and many US coin references.

Archived