CoinPeople.com

Charles VII. Holy Roman Emperor. ND?

IMG_1909_edited.jpg
IMG_1906_edited.jpg

Charles VII. Holy Roman Emperor. This appears to be a near contemporary, poor cast copy of a silver medal by G.W.Vestner for the future Emperor's betrothal to Maria Amalia the daughter of Joseph I, the then current Holy Roman Emperor. obverse legend: CAROL.ALBERT.UTR.BAVAR.ET PALAT.SVP.DVX COM.PAL.RHEN.&C.ELECT.HER. reverse legend: DIGNO NECTENDA VIRO.clavd. 48mm iron.

IMG_1906_edited2.jpg

In exergue: CaroLo aLberto prInCIpI eLe-CtoraLI baVarIae nVbIt aMaLIa IosephI Cae-sarIs fILIa.

This is an example of a Chronogram (kron'6-gram), n. [Gr. chronos, time, and gramma, a letter or writing, from grapho. to write.] An inscription in which a certain date or epoch is expressed by numeral letters, as in the motto of a medal.

In the above example: C L, in Carolo etc, we find CLLIICIILCLIVIVIMLIIICIILI

=M,CCCC,LL,LL,LL,VV,IIIIIIIIIIII = M. (1000) + 4 C. (400) + 6 L. (300)+ 2 V.(10) + 12 I. (12) = 1722. So, though this medal appears at first glance to be undated, it is dated 1722!

On 5 October 1722, Charles married Marie Amalie, Archduchess of Austria and he was elected 'King of the Romans' on 24 January 1742, and took the title 'Holy Roman Emperor' upon his coronation on 12 February 1742.

Is that authentic??

The medal is a copy/fake, so not authentic, but appears to be old & not a modern copy. But, if you mean, is the chronogram story authentic, yes most definitely yes. Not quite up to the standard of the Da Vinci code, but a hidden numerical code,

DIGNO NECTENDA VIRO.clavd. The clavd is for CLAUDIUS CLAUDIANUS (the last of the Roman poets) Latin epic poet and panegyrist as 'DIGNO NECTENDA VIRO' is a quote from him. It means: 'worthy joining of nobility'

The medal is a copy/fake, so not authentic, but appears to be old & not a modern copy. But, if you mean, is the chronogram story authentic, yes most definitely yes. Not quite up to the standard of the Da Vinci code, but a hidden numerical code,

DIGNO NECTENDA VIRO.clavd. The clavd is for CLAUDIUS CLAUDIANUS (the last of the Roman poets) Latin epic poet and panegyrist as 'DIGNO NECTENDA VIRO' is a quote from him. It means: 'worthy joining of nobility'

Oh, I didn't see where you said it's "a poor cast copy." Thanks for the info, const

Okay, Constanius, that is really interesting. What a lot of neat stuff you have!

Thanks Frank, I must confess that I like the weird & wacky. Some of the dealers at the coin shows I go to are often glad just to get rid of the stuff that I buy from them. No one else appears to want them, so I get them 'cheap'. I am glad that you and a few others on the forum seem to enjoy them too.

Thanks Frank, I must confess that I like the weird & wacky. Some of the dealers at the coin shows I go to are often glad just to get rid of the stuff that I buy from them. No one else appears to want them, so I get them 'cheap'. I am glad that you and a few others on the forum seem to enjoy them too.

I would say that many of us enjoy the weird and the wacky. I collect things that spark my curiosity or my love of artistic beauty. Medals and tokens often touch on both. Keep sharing.

I would say that many of us enjoy the weird and the wacky. I collect things that spark my curiosity or my love of artistic beauty. Medals and tokens often touch on both. Keep sharing.
Sorry Bill, if that sounded like a rant, it was not meant to be. In fact I feel sorry for collectors of, say pre-revolutionary russian kopecks where there is such demand that the prices are sky-high. That is okay if you want to sell!!! Not so good for the dedicated collector.

Mind when I said few (which I realize I should not have done) you obviously was included, along with all the other regular contributers to the exonumia forum (too numerous to mention by name) not the spammers we have been having lately though.

Rest assured I did not take it as a rant. I was merely agreeing with you. One of my favorite dealers is always amazed that I am sometimes more interested in the design on the reverse of a Roman coin than I am in the portrait. Everyone into Roman coins collect the portraits, far fewer collect the topics on the reverse. My interest happened to be a sacred rock shown on the coin. Unfortunately, it is rare and in the $15,000 to $20,000 range. Damn, I really like that sacred rock, but its out of my price range. The dealer, however, is always happy to let me enjoy my interests and always has something special to share with me. Long live the wierd and the wacky, they keep our minds fresh.

Archived