CoinPeople.com

Vulcan, Wilkinson Token. Not Listed in D&H.

IMG_1911_edited.jpg

IMG_1912_edited.jpg

This plain edged 1790 'vulcan' is not listed in D&H.

From The Copper Corner:

In 1790, a new reverse design was introduced, depicting the Roman god of the forge, Vulcan, seated right on an anvil, hammering a piece of iron on another anvil. In the background on the right can be seen the masts of a ship. This allegorical reverse appeared on a large number of tokens struck during that year and over the next two.

John Gregory Hancock was responsible for those tokens with the Vulcan reverse.

The 1790 Vulcan token was struck at 15cwt/week from Westwood to a total of 206,000 tokens. Seeing products from the opposition, Boulton commented to Wilkinson that he should have all tokens struck in collars. However, on December 11th 1790, Wilkinson complained to Boulton that the halfpence were four in the pound less in number than those which Westwood used to make for him.[27] In 1791 he was ordering tokens by the ton from both Westwood and Boulton. The 1792 Vulcan issue numbered 103,000 tokens. If the Westwood tokens were struck without the use of collars it might mean that some tokens without the edge legend ‘WILLEY SNEDSHILL BERSHAM BRADLEY’ are genuine rather than fakes.

So it is possible this is a genuine Wilkinson token, if not, it is still an unlisted fake(counterfeit) produced contemporary to the genuine tokens. Purchased from Branko Marelic's Collection.

Constanius --I have a rather beat-up and holed 1792 version of this token (I'll try to provide a pic as soon as I can). Yes, it has the edge inscription (thanks for providing the specific words --I was wondering what the heck it said!) but the portrait of Wilkinson is distinctly different than yours, and there are small differences in Vulcan's portrayal on the reverse, too.

Constanius --I have a rather beat-up and holed 1792 version of this token (I'll try to provide a pic as soon as I can). Yes, it has the edge inscription (thanks for providing the specific words --I was wondering what the heck it said!) but the portrait of Wilkinson is distinctly different than yours, and there are small differences in Vulcan's portrayal on the reverse, too.
954033.jpg

Here is another one of mine: IOHN WILKINSON IRON MASTER, HALFPENNY 1792, 'VULCAN'. Edge 'payable in Lancaster London or Bristol'. Bronze 29mm. So you will have to check the edge on yours Frank to be sure of the inscription. There are 132 known varieties of the token with any of the reverses Forge, Barge or Vulcan, 75 are thought to be genuine and 57 are forgeries of varying quality but there is some dispute (see my previous post) that some listed as forgeries could in fact be genuine.

Plus there are a few mules:

1. Female seated with mining tools.

2. Figure of Moneta seated with scales.

3. Cypher H M Co. and legend CAMAC KYAN & CAMAC.

4. Female seated with harp.

5. Harp with crown.

6. Britannia seated.

7. Female seated and legend BIRMINGHAM MINING & COPPER CO.

Though most of us do not collect fakes or modern copies/restrikes, old copies fakes etc are actively collected and often cost as much (or more) if contemporary to the originals.

Archived