CoinPeople.com

1846 MW Poltina variant

squirrel

I was finally getting around to looking up a few misc. coins in RW Julians book on Silver, 1796-1917, and discovered I had this variant:

947339.jpg

The "P" in "Poltina" was punched as "II" without the top bar. According to RWJ, there are 8 different spelling or punch errors for this year MW poltina!

I think this might also have another error, the "A" in "MOHETA" has one continuous line across the bottom. Does anyone have an example of the error where the A is missing the cross bar, and appears as cyrillic "L" ? Im not sure thats what this one is, as there is a tiny hint of cross bar on the A.

I was finally getting around to looking up a few misc. coins in RW Julians book on Silver, 1796-1917, and discovered I had this variant:

The "P" in "Poltina" was punched as "II" without the top bar. According to RWJ, there are 8 different spelling or punch errors for this year MW poltina!

I think this might also have another error, the "A" in "MOHETA" has one continuous line across the bottom. Does anyone have an example of the error where the A is missing the cross bar, and appears as cyrillic "L" ? Im not sure thats what this one is, as there is a tiny hint of cross bar on the A.

From the archives

Maybe a hint there too.

Interesting! Thanks Steve! could be the same "A"

Looks like the die sinker at least made an effort to get the tops of the "I"s to at least touch!

After looking thru RWJ's fine book, it seems the MW poltina of 1846 holds the record for number of different die typos in one year. Must have been a cold winter. Or a bad batch of Vodka in the Mint cafeteria. :ninja:

Archived