CoinPeople.com

Kopek Overstiikes

Mike Shaver

Mike, just keep up with what you can find. Trust me, finding an overstruck Swedish coin is so difficult, not even everyone on this forum has one. I was just plain lucky that the other bidders didn't notice what they are looking at and I got it absurdly cheap, probably way under 30USD. People would call me a liar LOL If you managed to find it in a junk box, even better! Hope you didn't use up your beginner's luck.

Again identifying what the underlying image is a different matter. Some may claim that because the design is so ugly, it's worth less but I don't think so. Depending on what the underlying image is, how clear it is as well as the condition, eye appeal, etc, it all adds up to the dollars that we see these days.

A challenge is to find an overstruck 1724 kopek which is really difficult. An easier one is the 1731-5 polushka overstruck over 1728 kopek. In fact I think there are little literature written about the overstruck Swedish ore - I have only seen Spassky briefly mentioning about it but nothing much in detail. I'm sure there are more surprises waiting to be found. Probably out of the entire overstruck copper coins that I know, the 1795 MM kopeks (1,2, 5) are extremely notorious to find. The 1763-7 CM 5 kopeks is still a mystery of whether they were indeed overstruck or not.

Do check my collection Mike on omnicoin. You aren't the only one collecting ugly copper - I've got them in crusts, holes, dents etc... what else do you want? Coins that have been through blasting? ;)

Best of luck :ninja:

Archived