CoinPeople.com

1875H 5 cents Why so Rare

neal

Just inherited a 1875H Canada 5 cent piece,graded by CCCS as F12,nice coin but pretty small,being from Australia i dont know anything about it,re actual mintage etc,can someone please give me a quick lesson,is CCCS worth the holder they come in or can i rip it out and put it in a 2 x 2,please educate me

I've asked a few dealers why the 1875 silver coinage is so rare, but no one seems to know. The mintages for that year aren't very different from other years. The mintage for 1875 5 cents was 1 million. There were only a few years in the span of 1870-1890 where the mintages were over 1.5 million. Three of those years (1883, 1884 and 1887) had 600,000 or less minted, yet aren't as expensive as the 1875's.

CCCS is a decent grading company, but not nearly as highly regarded as ICCS yet. They grade fairly conservatively and they are doing some other things right such as hot stamping their holder with a hologram to deter people from counterfeiting it (ICCS doesn't do this). I would definitely leave it in the holder.

Archived