CoinPeople.com

Coin Portrait of the Week #34

Drusus

Warning, this one is long. Just to clarify why I post these. I like there to be a page that combines a lot of facts in a relatively short synopsis. So when someone searches for either a coin, or the people on the coin, they will find a lot of useful info. I post them here and to my site only. I am not a great writer and simply endevour to state facts. Feel free to point out any serious errors.

KM 1302 Carynthia, Austria 15 Kreuzer Coin Depicting Leopold I - Archduke of Austria and Holy Roman Emperor / Silver

leopold.jpg

Obv: Laureate draped and cuirsassed bust right / LEOPOLDVS • D[ei] • G[ratia] (15) • R[omanorvm] • I[mperator] • S[emper] • A[vgvstvs] • G[ermaniae] • H[vngariae] • E[t] • B[ohemiae] • REX

Rev: Crowned Imperial Arms with oval state shield on chest and mint mark below / ARCHI[dux] • AVS[triae] • E[t] • CARINT[hia] • DVX • BVR[gvndiae] • 1663 / St. Veit Mint / Herinek 1114 var. R

Translation: Leopold, by the Grace of God, Emperor of the Romans, Ever Augustus, King of Germany, Hungary, and Bohemia / Archduke of Austria and Carynthia, Duke of Burgundy

Since this one is so long and has a lot of images I decided just to link to the page instead:

http://www.cachecoins.org/leopoldhre.htm

He possessed a more extreme example of the Habsburg jaw which is evident from his portraits which depict it rather consistently. On his coins this feature is depicted less consistently ranging from a slight protrusion to the extremely pronounced distended jaw which led to the nickname: Leopold the Hogmouth.

It seems the name rose from his coin portraits, not sure if it was a contemporary thing. Most biographical material I read does not seem to use the nickname but it seems common among coin collectors as it is often used in coin descriptions.

He possessed a more extreme example of the Habsburg jaw which is evident from his portraits which depict it rather consistently. On his coins this feature is depicted less consistently ranging from a slight protrusion to the extremely pronounced distended jaw which led to the nickname: Leopold the Hogmouth.

It seems the name rose from his coin portraits, not sure if it was a contemporary thing. Most biographical material I read does not seem to use the nickname but it seems common among coin collectors as it is often used in coin descriptions.

It might have been imprudent to call him that during his life time :ninja:

thanks.

Dave, can I ask who that is in your av?

Emile Gentil, AKA Nice Emile, 4 April 1866 – 30 March 1914 from the St. Pierre and Miquelon 20 Francs banknote.

I had a bugger of a time finding info on this guy. Finally found a smidgen online and then some German references on him, but only a tiny amount of information all together.

never heard of him before, thats why I love coins and notes, they bring to your attention people you might have never heard of from all around the world and time. I like that site...it does much the same thing I do but with banknotes...very cool. If you dont mind, I would like to link to the site as we are somewhat doing the same thing, if they dont find it at my site on a coin, they may at yours on a bill. :ninja:

This guy is an example of why one shouldn't have kids with relatives.

Members of European royalty frequently married their cousins or blood relatives,

thus spreading all kinds of heriditary diseases around.

The Spanish, German, and Russian royal families got hemophilia from each other.

By the way, England's Prince Charles and Diana were related (6th cousins).

The Spanish, German, and Russian royal families got hemophilia from each other.

all started with queen victoria of the uk :ninja: she was the first carrier and later some of her children got it and married other royal families..etc

The Habsburgs are, without doubt, an extreme case of this inbreeding. The Spanish branch of the family ended with Charles II, he being the worst victim of this practice that survived past his first year. The Austrian Habsburg family would end with Leopold's second son, emperor Charles VI. The Austrian side of the family allowed for the death of the male line. If no direct males...the daughter may inherit. Neither one of Leopold's sons had a male heir thus the succession should have gone to the elder sons, daughter. The second son, Charles VI, instead left it to his own daughter, a lady all world coin collectors probably know...Maria Theresa. I was a good move.

Of course true to form, other nobles always looking for a reason to go to war sparked the war of Austrian Succession. These nobles and how anxious they are to go to war reminds me of Zapp Brannigan from Futurama when he says "I'm willing to throw wave after wave of my men at it".

In the end Maria Theresa being no push over (as one might be able to tell from her portrait) ended up gaining most of what was coming to her. She became Duchess and Empress. Although it was her husband the Duke of Lorraine, Francis I , who held the title of Emperor...she was the real power. Thus began a new chapter, the Habsburg-Lorraine family. She was the mother to Maria Antonia, better known as, Marie Antoinette.

maria_theresa.jpg

Archived