CoinPeople.com

Bureau de la Misericorde, Toulouse

An interesting and very three dimensional jeton / medallet issued in silver for the Toulouse Commission of Prisons. The theme of the piece draws on the Commission's origins in the `Confrerie de Misericorde' (Brotherhood of Mercy) which was established by the jesuits in Toulouse in 1570. This particular `confrerie' was populated by nobles and local officials keen to be seen as being public spirited and to demonstrate their magnanimity. One of the key functions of the brotherhood was to visit prisoners and see that they were being adequately fed and clothed and that they were being `suitably' treated. The obverse depicts an angel visiting a prisoner. I'm sure the brotherhood were all angels too.........!

This particular piece was minted post 1880 and bears the `cornucopia' privy mark of La Medaille (Paris Mint) on its edge. The engraver (unknown to me) is J Ganot. My apologies for the blurred image but this is a very three dimensional piece and is not particularly suited to being scanned via my trusty (but limited) flatbed scanner. :ninja:

944126.jpg

Archived