CoinPeople.com

Septimus Severus

thedeadpoint

AD 195 - Septimus Severus denarius - VF

943166.jpg

The first ancient I've bought in YEARS (if I've ever bough one). I thought it looked nice compared to the other selections and it was the only nice one in my price range. I know nothing about ancients (I was looking for one of Clive's hammered honies). I don't know the history of this series (does it belong to a series? do series exist in ancient coins?), it's true grade, place of mint (I think England), or anything.

Anyone verify this is what it is? What would you have paid for it?

I feel safe with American coins but since I don't know much about ancients, I don't know if I could tell a fake apart from a real one, etc.

Also, I'd love to see a well centered ancient for once.

It being rather small and hard to see its difficult to read the inscriptions well enough but what you have is

Septimius Severus Denarius. L SEPT SEV PERT AVG IMP VII ? / laureate head right P M TRP III COS II P P / Minerva standing left with spear and round sheild. I would think it is Rome mint...could be wrong

So the small envelope it came in had this typed on it:

Rx. Mars Advancing Left Holding Spear & Shield

Similar to S-6327

I hope that helps. Sorry the scanner isn't the best way to present these coins but its faster and easier than whipping out my camera.

the figure isnt advancing but standing left and I think its minerva not mars

this is your coin RIC IV 71 (if not exact, close) type of Minerva with round shield and speer

RIC_0071.jpg

this is an advancing mars type:

RIC_0052.1.jpg

I would agree with Minerva. As far as series goes, it belongs to the Severan series :-)

Septimus was born in the African province and was the first African Roman emperor.

I would grade the coin aVF, around a $40 coin I'd say

$39.50 after a 10% discount (or maybe before... I don't remember. I didn't have the cash to pay him (he wanted cash, I wanted card), so I'm going back next week to pay him. I have the coin though :ninja: )

Archived