CoinPeople.com

Any ideas as to this medal?

well i did a lil googling and this is what i found (dont take my word for it..google gave me the tips :ninja: ) :-

the word " tvrcvpellerivs" written on the front of the coin came up with these 2 links 1 is a pdf in a forgien language which i cant read ( http://www.numis-club.fr/exposes/evasion_tokens.pdf ) (keeps staing "evasion token" so might mean something ;) ) but the other gives a hint ( http://www.artfact.com/catalog/viewLot.cfm?lotCode=ES59XRNA ) which is :-

"one of the British series of Imitation Regals ( Turcupellerius was the title of the commander of the mercenaries of the Order of St John of Jerusalem)"

but however the discription doesnt match your coin so i googled "kendal" which is also written on the front of the coin turns out its a town in the uk ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kendal )

anyway sorry cant help you much further since i cant read what else is written on the coin and hope this info helps ;)

Cheers RD, all I could find is this: http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=LP6WLew...hl=en#PPA407,M1

It mentions that there are very few known, Hospitalliers and one in the British Museum... So I doubt it is genuine but I've emailed the photos to the BM and wait to see their response.

Clive.

Cheers RD, all I could find is this: http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=LP6WLew...hl=en#PPA407,M1

It mentions that there are very few known, Hospitalliers and one in the British Museum... So I doubt it is genuine but I've emailed the photos to the BM and wait to see their response.

Clive.

It does look like a substandard cast, look at 9 o'clock on the edge, plus the whole surface has that appearance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

john_kendal001.JPG

john_kendal002.JPG

Clive.

I deciphered the words RHODI & TEMPORE OBSIDIONIS on the reverse which means the time of the siege of Rhodes, and also realized that IO KENDAL was JO for JOHN and was able to google this :

Sir John Weston, and Sir JOHN KENDALL, who was 'Turcoplerius Rhodi, et Locum Tenens Magni Magistri in Italia, Francia, Anglia et Flandria.' (Rymer xii. 112.) The Turcoplerius was a Lieutenant to the Grand Master. Sir John Kendall was made Prior to the Order of St. John in England in 1491. In 1480 the great siege of Rhodes by the Turks had been successfully resisted. Early in 1481 Mohammed II. was preparing to lead a new expedition in person, but died on May 3. Very likely the news of the abandonment of the expedition had not yet reached England. You can make out some of the date MCCCC?? LINK to THE CELY PAPERS - PART III Letter 54 rhodes17.jpg Facade of the Inn of England Rhodes this building was originally built in 1483 . Top right arms are a chevron between ten ermine spots, bottom left are fretty on a chief three escallops, bottom right three pallets on a chief three roundles. Look at the bottom left shield it is the one on the reverse of your wonderful medal! Looks genuine to me, definitely not an evasive, could be a copy.

Many thanks guys, thank you ever so much for all that info Constanius. I await the British Museum's reply eagerly and will keep you all posted.

Any other opinions welcome.

Clive.

I deciphered the words RHODI & TEMPORE OBSIDIONIS on the reverse which means the time of the siege of Rhodes, and also realized that IO KENDAL was JO for JOHN and was able to google this :

Sir John Weston, and Sir JOHN KENDALL, who was 'Turcoplerius Rhodi, et Locum Tenens Magni Magistri in Italia, Francia, Anglia et Flandria.' (Rymer xii. 112.) The Turcoplerius was a Lieutenant to the Grand Master. Sir John Kendall was made Prior to the Order of St. John in England in 1491. In 1480 the great siege of Rhodes by the Turks had been successfully resisted. Early in 1481 Mohammed II. was preparing to lead a new expedition in person, but died on May 3. Very likely the news of the abandonment of the expedition had not yet reached England. You can make out some of the date MCCCC?? LINK to THE CELY PAPERS - PART III Letter 54 rhodes17.jpg Facade of the Inn of England Rhodes this building was originally built in 1483 . Top right arms are a chevron between ten ermine spots, bottom left are fretty on a chief three escallops, bottom right three pallets on a chief three roundles. Look at the bottom left shield it is the one on the reverse of your wonderful medal! Looks genuine to me, definitely not an evasive, could be a copy but I think not.

Some truly impressive detective work! :ninja:

Edited to add: It's amazing how much the language has changed. Reading the letter in the link makes it apparent. It is written in English (my mother tongue) yet I must struggle to read and try to understand it!

Some truly impressive detective work! ;)

Edited to add: It's amazing how much the language has changed. Reading the letter in the link makes it apparent. It is written in English (my mother tongue) yet I must struggle to read and try to understand it!

It's a step forward from Latin, which I've been studying for ages and this is now Olde English which is totally legible in thine own opinionth... :ninja: Too many th's, sounds as if I've been stung in the cheek by a bee.

Clive.

Archived