CoinPeople.com

Proof Die Crack?

Coinjoe2006

I got bored here a little while ago. I recently introduced my fiance to coins. Now my fiance wont leave the computer looking at coins and shopping around. So, I got bored and started looking through my own collection. Then I can across something that made me do a double take. My 1973 proof set. I looked at the penny. Theres something wrong with it. Its a proof, obviously. However, theres a few gouges in it. I'm suprised that this never caught my eye before. Theres a tiny one at the top, on the front by the "T' in "Trust". Then theres one on the side of Lincoln's head, his jaw, then his shoulder. I got to thinking that maybe its a die crack or something?

I have included a picture so that you can look at it, and I apologize in advace for the blurryness...sorry, not the best camera!

Please let me know!

041by1.jpg

Well if a die crack is raised, then its not a die crack. Its just a few gouges in the coin. I have circled the areas in question here:

041jr4.jpg

Maybe that will show you what I'm looking at. I have tried taking the picture again, with two seperate cameras, and for some reason I still cant seem to get even the quality of this picture. I even tried to scan it with my scanner, but it came out all blurry. Anyway, I hope that the pic with the circled spots will help.

I have included a picture so that you can look at it, and I apologize in advace for the blurryness...sorry, not the best camera!

Please let me know!

Usually not the camera. It is difficult to photo such a shinny object. In this case your attempting to photo a very shinny coin in a shinny plastic container. If your using a digital camera you don't have to worry about wasting film so keep on trying to take a better photo in different types of lighting. I see lots of glare either due to a flash or a bulb directly next to the object. You may want to attempt to photo that coin outdoors, in the shade so that there is very little glare.

Back to the coin. Might be a lamination problem. Would be nice to get a better photo.

Archived