CoinPeople.com

Paul 1 of Russia

Porschenut

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some information about a coin my family picked up in Hungary just after the Wall came down.

They paid for the coin in US Dollars and for the time costing $50.00 seemed steep. Since average wages at the time were probably $5 per month.

Anyway the coin is a 1 Rouble dated 1796 with Emperor Paul 1 on the head side. I have been looking for this coin in all the cataloges but I can't find it except in the 1907 Spinks of Londons Auction Cataloge selling for one pound 15 shillings. I am putting a picture of the coin on here in the hopes someone can tell me what this is. Thanks.

New_Paul_1_of_Russia_1796_Rev.gif

Welcome to the forum Porschenut. :ninja:

I am very sorry that your first experience with this forum it so negative, but I am afraid that Cheburgen is most likely correct. It does appear that the coin you have posted is indeed a copy.

In addition to Uzdenikov #095 p. 204, the same edition shows the Novodels of this coin #166 and #167 p. 217.

You will also find it in H.M. Severin's: " The Silver Coinage of Imperial Russia" (1965) #2377 pl. 34

.................. as well as R.W. Julian's: " Russian Silver Coinage 1796-1917" (1993) p. 81

There are other references as well, of course, but this may give you a start.

Hello again,

Wow thanks for the swift reply. Is it possible that this bronze coin was made so that those less fortunate could have a corination token?

Perhaps they did not do msuch things back then. Funny thing is there is no attempt to plate or silverize the coin and there is almost no wear on the coin excepyt some on the high parts that moght have been made by storing this coin on velet. It is dated 1796 and that was the year Paul 1 came to the throne all other coins I have seen are dated 1797 and on. Could this have been a trial coin or a test type coin before they produced the real silver ones? The coin weighs 51.03 grams. Does that not seem very heavy for a fake of a forger who tend to turn out light flimsy coins that are poorly made and washed in some sort of silverizing compound. The edges appear to be groved as if you could secure it down to something. Does that mean anything?

I don't know but it sure is interesting anyway. Thanks again for the comments.

<Is it possible that this bronze coin was made so that those less fortunate could have a corination token?

No it's not. There is no designation of nominal (Rouble in this case) on any coronation tokens. Meanwhile, there is a lettering on your copy: "МОНЕТА РУБЛЬ", which means it's not supposed to be a token.

Just try to compare your copy with this novodel and I guess you'll see the difference.

1.gif

Archived