CoinPeople.com

1984 d Lincoln

Will give this another try.

This very well circulated 84 Lincoln has a 'belly button' shaped D mintmark.

It does appear to be doubled, maybe tripled, and there is a shadow across the bottom of the D and partially up the outside curve. There are prominent shadows behind the 9 and the 8.

So far I haven't come across any literature that gives this coin any classification.

Anyone out there who will hazard to guess?

Corky

longacre dobbleing. looks like that.

Did what you suggested and found a page that explains some of the causes.

There is sometimes a very fine line between the different doublings and such.

I often suspicioned that some of what we can see is just the metal being pushed aside as the die struck the planchet, especially in the after 1982 Lincolns. I was calling it 'shadow doubling' for want of a better, or correct, name.

Then again, there are still those that I cannot quite determine what the 'error' is. For me, some of the anomalies are just as much fun as the official errors.

Thanks youngun.

Corky

• 2 weeks later...

You probably need to get another book. Longacre doubling happens on the coins designed by Longacre....like indian head cents.

What happened with the 1984D cent in this thread is simple split plating. It is very common and has no premium value.

Misinformation is worse than silence.

Welcome back.

Hope everything is going smoothly.

Thanks for the info on the coin. I didn't think it was much of anything either, but thought it was funny to post a coin with an 'outie' belly button.

Everytime I get out my cents I get out the book you wrote and sometimes check your site.

Thanks for all of this education I am getting!

corky

• 1 year later...

Archived