CoinPeople.com

"Common" 1969S MDD

SMS

Machine damage tends to be a common bane to many collectors. Errors and varieties are not my specialty, and machine damage is as much a bane to me as any other collector out there. Correctly discerning the difference between a class V (pivoted die), class VI (distended die), a class VII (modified die), and most MDD spreads is just too much trouble :ninja: Sometimes it makes you wonder just who comes up with all this stuff? ;)

Irregardless, it's still enjoyable to find anomalies and share them with others. Cents from 1968 through 1970 are especially prone to anomalies and machine damage. Here is a 1969S with an interesting spread on "LIBERTY". You will also notice the rim just to the west of "LIBERTY". The rest of the devices are normal with no anomalies on the obverse. It makes one wonder if this was damage caused by a machine, and not something specific to the die, why would only that one particular portion of the devices be affected?

Go ahead and give your input!

6o5iv40.jpg7x012zl.jpg

Closeup - Full Coin

Closeup - "LIBERTY"

HA! I almost forgot to mention. On this coin also, if you look on the east side of the coin, you will notice what looks exactly like the same doubling on the bow tie as the 1984 DDO! As a point of fact, the "earlier" Memorial Lincolns had a double-bow tie where the bow tie was tied double on both the "left" and the "right" side. On the more current Memorials, you will notice that Lincolns bow tie is a single-tie with the double bow on his "right" side, but only a single bow on his "left" side (the side closest to the edge). I would count this "doubling" on this particular cent (check out the "closeup" of the full coin) as a possible die fill...or is it? :ninja:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived