CoinPeople.com

Old cash coin identification

everycountrycoins

Hey coinpeople,

This particular cash coin has me stumped a bit. I can't even seem to be able to narrow it down to the correct emperor/date range. There are not really any discernible features on the reverse. Could you take a look if you have any expertise in this area?

Thanks,

Bruce

cash027.jpg

T'se Te Tung Pao

Annam (Vietnam), 1848-82

Bingo! Specifically, it is KM# 606a (1885-88).

You would have thought that I would have remembered a lesson I learned long ago--never completely trust what somebody else writes on a flip, especially when non-Western languages are involved. The plain reverse should have been a big clue.

Thanks as always for the help,

Bruce

Bingo! Specifically, it is KM# 606a (1885-88).

You would have thought that I would have remembered a lesson I learned long ago--never completely trust what somebody else writes on a flip, especially when non-Western languages are involved. The plain reverse should have been a big clue.

Thanks as always for the help,

Bruce

Correction--it must be KM# 378a (1848-83). It has to be a United Dai Nam coin because of the characters for Emperor Tu Doc.

Bruce

The plain reverse should have been a big clue.

Well, plain reverse just rules out most Chinese Ching (Qing) cash. I was thinking Ming dynasty myself when I first saw this, not cluing in to the "greenness" that it was probably from a more tropical climate.

Archived