CoinPeople.com

Collecting Coins for Charity

Nightwing

I thought this might be a good idea to start at one's job, have everyone pick up the loose change they find on the ground and collect if for charity at the end of the year. (Then again maybe it wouldn't quite work at my job)

Collecting Coins for Charity (From: http://www.wcbi.com/news/index.php?&mnid=1897&page=)

[ 2. Jan. 2008 - 16:55]

We've all passed a penny on the sidewalk at some point but do you ever wonder how much money you'd have if you picked up every coin you came across? Well, that's exactly what a Lee County woman did for an entire year.

“I thought it'd be a good idea if for one year I picked up those pennies and over a year's time see how much it added up to,” Yvonne Merritt said.

For an entire year Merritt picked up every coin she came across.

“We started January 1 of ‘07 and ended December 31 and we collected $11.01,” she said.

It may not sound like a lot of money, but they're all coins Merritt found on sidewalks, in parking lots and those coins are now going to charity.

“We'll start with the animal shelter and there are several charities we can give to, the food banks,” Merritt said.

Merritt says the extra effort is worth it and after a year a few pennies really add up.

“People pass by pennies and think ‘that's nothing’ but over a year's time, $11 worth,” Merritt said.

Merritt already has high hopes for her coin collecting this year.

“I'd love to beat $11 in '08, I think we can,” Merritt said.

Just two days into the New Year, Merritt has already started collecting change; so far she has three cents. She says she'll pick a new charity to give the money to at the end of the year.

Archived