CoinPeople.com

Celtic Coins

De Orc

I have just added these two coins to my online collection, to view pleae click the link in my sig :ninja:

Cunobelinus 1BC-40sAD

Bronze Unit

Tribe Trinovantes/Catuvellauni

Warrior on horseback brandishing spear in right hand

Warrior standing wearing helmet, holding spear and shield

Van Arsdell 2093-1

He appears to have controlled most of south-eastern England, and is called "Britannorum rex" ("king of the Britons") by Suetonius

Silver unit

Tribe Iceni

Anted

Back to back Crescent with 2 dots between

Horse + T

Van Arsdell 711

• 11 months later...

Click on the Omnicoin link and look under United Kingdom (if you click on the year tab it sorts them into earliest 1st) I dont think that I have posted my French ones as yet though.

• 1 month later...

Do you ever view them edge-on or obliquely? According to Geraldine Chimirri-Russell (see here), these coins with their abstract or stylized heads when viewed not face-on, but at an angle, take on a far more realistic three-dimensionality.

The method does not apply to all, but does for many of the ones that look "wierd" when viewed face-on. Floating lines off in the field become cheeks, open gimaces become smiles, "Picasso" faces become normal.

Neat Coin, De Orc!

Do you ever view them edge-on or obliquely? According to Geraldine Chimirri-Russell (see here), these coins with their abstract or stylized heads when viewed not face-on, but at an angle, take on a far more realistic three-dimensionality.

The method does not apply to all, but does for many of the ones that look "wierd" when viewed face-on. Floating lines off in the field become cheeks, open gimaces become smiles, "Picasso" faces become normal.

Now THAT is a seriously cool article! BTW... Nice to see you again - Welcome back!

Thanks Dave, mmarotta I have tried that with a couple and it is quite interesting will have to try it on some of my others as well and see what the result is :ninja:

Archived