CoinPeople.com

Roman coin - Gallienus?

LeonB

I have two Roman coins; neither is in good shape but I'm rather fond of them. I'm curious if anyone can tell me anything about them, apart from the written info that came with them (or if they can read the names I can't make out).

This is the second, smaller of the two. I think the info says it's from the reign of Gallienus. The info reads:

Roman

Gallienus [?]

253-268 A.D.

AE ______________

Sealy-NOT LISTED

(I've attached a scan of the info)

Roman_Coin_253_268_info_sm.jpg

Roman_Coin_253_268_obv_s.jpg

Roman_Coin_253_268_rev_s.jpg

The reverse of the coin could well be this 'Rev: ABVNDANTIAAVG - Abundantia standing right, pouring contents of cornucopia with both hands'

Brief history of him LOL

Gallienus 253 - 268 A.D.

Gallienus, Valerian's son, became co-emperor shortly after Valerian himself ascended the throne. His greatest contribution to military history was the first commissioning of a cavalry-only unit which could be dispatched anywhere within the empire within short order. He was also successful in repelling wave after wave of barbarian invaders as well as finally defeating Postumus after a prolonged period which saw the two in battlefields on three different occasions.

Asides from these marks of merit, Gallienus was a cruel tyrant of an oddly mild disposition. Given to a life of luxury at a time when the empire was suffering endless bouts of attacks this procured the rebellion of many armies in the provinces. Ingenuus, Macrianus, Quietus, Balista, Domitianus of Gaul, Regallianus, Zenobia, Celsus, Odenathus, Trebellianus, Piso, the Gallic secessionists and possibly many more whose names are lost to history all usurped the throne only to have met crushing defeats by the forces of Gallienus. His luck finally ran out while besieging another usurper, Aureolus, at the hands of his own despairing soldiers.

Archived