CoinPeople.com

Roman coin - Domitian

LeonB

I have two Roman coins; neither is in good shape but I'm rather fond of them. I'm curious if anyone can tell me anything about them, apart from the written info that came with them (or if they can read the names I can't make out).

This one's my favorite of the two; I'll ask about the other in a separate thread. It came with this info:

Roman

Domitian

81-96 A.D.

AE-24

Colony of _______

Syria

Sealy-823

(I've attached a scan of the info)

Roman_Coin_81_96_info_sm.jpg

Roman_Coin_81_96_obv_s.jpg

Roman_Coin_81_96_rev_s.jpg

This was the closest I could find having checked on Wildwinds :ninja:

Domitian, as Caesar, Æ 28mm of Antioch, Syria. DOMITIANVS CAESAR (retrograde), laureate head right / SC within laurel wreath

Domitian, as Caesar, Æ 28mm of Antioch, Syria. DOMITIANVS CAESAR (retrograde), laureate head right / SC within laurel wreath

Thanks for the info on the inscriptions for these two, De Orc. Of course, the SC was obvious and I was able to look that up years ago, but it's neat to get a little info on what the inscriptions likely are. If you dig up anything else (no pun intended), I'm all ears (I'll be tracking both threads).

• 3 weeks later...

Well now, why didn't I think to look up Wildwinds till now? (I'd never heard of it before.) Yes, this does look like it might be the one I have. (http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/domitian/RPC_2018v.jpg)

Archived