CoinPeople.com

Fake 1747 grivennik?

Timofei

Hi,

For those who do not frequent to Russian forums I insert a picture of supposedly 3 different coins. If these picture contains 3 coins (and not 1 in different stage of cleaning) that deserves to be published as confirmed fake. There are reports that this exact type is sold now and then on different internet forums and auctions.

10__1747___834.jpg

Thanks Timofei, very very interesting. It's surpising to see similar die cracks around at Elizabeth's head and have the same amount of wear at the crown. Not something I would normally see. Isnt' 1747 grivennik rather common (other than in very high grade)? The last one might seem odd but the other two, I'm not too sure of.

Hi,

For those who do not frequent to Russian forums I insert a picture of supposedly 3 different coins. If these picture contains 3 coins (and not 1 in different stage of cleaning) that deserves to be published as confirmed fake. There are reports that this exact type is sold now and then on different internet forums and auctions.

snipped

I can't be 100% sure, but there are apparently some tiny differences in wear or strike (unless this is a cast forgery). I noticed this mostly by looking at the crown on the reverse. Also, there is a little depressed mark on the obverse of the second coin which is missing from the other two pictures. However, this might be due to the angle of lighting. Thirdly, the "die crack" on the second coin has some suspicious-looking discontinued areas which are missing from the other coins and suggest to me (IMHO) that this was probably a casting error.

Of course, three different coins with the exact same irregular planchet outline is a dead giveaway. Good detective work, Timofei! :ninja:

I cannot claim merits for finding this fake -it was long discussion in Russian forums. I also never had possibility to inspect that in person myself. However as I heard the look and texture of surface of this fake cannot mislead experienced collector.

Archived