CoinPeople.com

Anyone heard of this one?

Hi,

Just found another trading token on the NSW goldfields, near Avisford. Be glad of any information about it.

It's a disc 33 mm in diameter and almost 3 mm thick, quite heavy. One side has the words SMITHFIELD CO at the top, Geo Petty 157 Elizabeth St in the centre and MELBOURNE at the bottom.

On the other side it shows a woman in a classical long flowing gown, holding a pair of scales in her right hand and holding a short staff or spear in the other hand. The word VICTORIA is at the top.

Obviously it refers to an address in the city of Melbourne in Victoria, Australia, but who the hell was George?

It's clearly mid 19 century or thereabouts, but I'd be grateful if someone could give me some idea of a more specific date or the story of what George Petty traded in. It's in very nice condition.

Best regards to all,

Wal.

G'day Wal.

Welcome to coinpeople :ninja:

It's interesting to find various kinds of tokens - would you happen to have a picture of it? I'm not too sure what it is but hopefully someone in this forum do.

Hi gx,

Thanks for speedy reply. Unfortunately cannot yet get pics but i'm working on it. Prospecting is great, even if you don't find gold you'll almost always find some old badge, coin or token out on the old diggings. Ill try to put together a picture show sometime of our finds,

best regards, Wal.

• 2 years later...
Hi,

Just found another trading token on the NSW goldfields, near Avisford. Be glad of any information about it.

It's a disc 33 mm in diameter and almost 3 mm thick, quite heavy. One side has the words SMITHFIELD CO at the top, Geo Petty 157 Elizabeth St in the centre and MELBOURNE at the bottom.

On the other side it shows a woman in a classical long flowing gown, holding a pair of scales in her right hand and holding a short staff or spear in the other hand. The word VICTORIA is at the top.

Obviously it refers to an address in the city of Melbourne in Victoria, Australia, but who the hell was George?

It's clearly mid 19 century or thereabouts, but I'd be grateful if someone could give me some idea of a more specific date or the story of what George Petty traded in. It's in very nice condition.

Best regards to all,

Wal.

george petty was a butcher in melbourne in 1855 ur token depending on the condition an unc example sold recently in the us for $1800+ be carefull allot of coin shops wont know its value good find :ninja:

Archived