CoinPeople.com

signed notes

cestrin

My grandpa used to own a bank. While he was there he would periodically send in some 1 dollar bills (and 6 silver notes in 1963) to have signed by the Secretary of Treasury and the Treasurer of the US. I have some from the 60's and 70's. They are in mint condition and I am wondering what their value may be.

He also sent me a bunch of notes including some from a concentration camp that is in mint condition (surprisingly) except for 1 note (4/5 are in mint). I think that they're from Thereinstadt.

Any input about these subjects would be appreciated.

My grandpa used to own a bank. While he was there he would periodically send in some 1 dollar bills (and 6 silver notes in 1963) to have signed by the Secretary of Treasury and the Treasurer of the US. I have some from the 60's and 70's. They are in mint condition and I am wondering what their value may be.

He also sent me a bunch of notes including some from a concentration camp that is in mint condition (surprisingly) except for 1 note (4/5 are in mint). I think that they're from Thereinstadt.

Any input about these subjects would be appreciated.

Signed notes are usually quite valuable. It also depend on whether the note is scarce or with special or fancy serial numbers such as 555555, 123456 etc. I have a signed NZ $5 note with a low serial number 227.It was signed by the person appearing on the note. He is the New Zealand famous Mount Everest mountain climber.

• 7 months later...

I just joined Coin People and have been reading through all the posts starting with the oldest. So, I hope no one is offended by my digging up an old thread to respond to. Earlier today I was looking through offerings from a dealer and these PCGS Certified notes were offered at some pretty nice prices. Hope you still have yours.

#P5678 - 1963-B $1 Chicago, Joseph Barr Autograph, PCGS Certified EF-40 PPQ - Has the actual hand autograph of the Secretary of the Treasury, Joeseph W. Barr. Barr is one of the scarcest autographs on FRN issues. $125.00

#P5677 - 1963-B $1 Chicago, Joseph Barr Autograph, PCGS Choice AU 58PPQ - Has the actual hand autograph of the Secretary of the Treasury, Joseph W. Barr. Barr is one of the scarcest autographs of all FRN issues. $145.00

#P5374 - 2001 $1 Philadelphia, Double Autograph, PCGS Certified Superb Gem New 67 PPQ - Has the actual hand autographs of the Treasurer of the united States, Rosario Marin and the Secretary of the Treasury, Paul H. Oneill. $175.00

CC

In the summer of 1942, the Nazis decided to create a ghetto bank, with each resident receiving a fixed amount of money depending in which of five categories such resident belonged. The currency was designed by Peter Kien and printed by the National Bank in Prague. At Heydrich's order, the picture of Moses was changed to conform to the Nazi caricature of a Jew. The other side of the scrip contains the printed signature of Jakob Edelstein as the "Eldest of the Jews in Theresienstdat." The notes are dated January 1, 1943, but did not go into circulation until May, 1943.

There are 7 notes to the set. I was able to get a complete uncirculated set that values around $250.00. Theresienstdat was the only concentration camp in Czechoslovakia and served as a staging camp to the death camps. The currency was used to give the impression to the Red Cross that this camp was built to allow its residents a means to conduct commerce while staying there. You can find documenton what they were charged for coffee, food, haircuts etc. One of the issues faced when they entered the camps was they had to convert their current money to this type of currency. Of course the exchange rate was not in their favor.

Denominations were 1,2,5,10,20,50 and 100 Kronen.

Jeff

PS These are not scans of my notes...but examples of what they look like.

theresienstadt-1kronenb.jpgtheresienstadt-1kronen.jpg

theresienstadt-2kronen.jpgtheresienstadt-2kronenb.jpg

theresienstadt-5kronen.jpgtheresienstadt-5kronenb.jpg

theresienstadt-10kronenb.jpgtheresienstadt-10kronen.jpg

theresienstadt-20kronenb.jpgtheresienstadt-20kronen.jpg

Archived