CoinPeople.com

Bank De France VIII token

AndyA

Hi all I have a bank de france V111 token with the edge inscribed - Cornucopia (horn of plenty) 1 Argent,

I know that the cornucopia mark denotes a post 1880 re-strike, can anyone if possible narrow this date down, was their any Bank tokens with the edge inscribed with a Torch 1 Argent punch mark and what year would that be?

Thanks in advance Andy.

According to Gadoury book "Monnaies Francaises", the torch is the personal sign of the maitre graveur (Chief Engraver) Henry-Auguste Patey between 1896-1930.

Cornucopia is the sign of Paris Mint 1880-1974 (after 1974 it was moved to Pessac)

According to Gadoury book "Monnaies Francaises", the torch is the personal sign of the maitre graveur (Chief Engraver) Henry-Auguste Patey between 1896-1930.

Cornucopia is the sign of Paris Mint 1880-1974 (after 1974 it was moved to Pessac)

Thank you for that, do you know if this token was produced with the Cornucopia and with the Torch because

it is very hard to tell what the symbol on mine is and if it was produced with the cornucopia is their anyway of narrowing down the date of production? Thanks.

Thank you for that, do you know if this token was produced with the Cornucopia and with the Torch because

it is very hard to tell what the symbol on mine is and if it was produced with the cornucopia is their anyway of narrowing down the date of production? Thanks.

I do know that the Banque de France tokens were produced thruout much of the 19th century; I don't know of any that have TWO separate edge marks or poinçons, but if you check the cgb.fr site http://www.cgb.fr/monnaies/jetons/j16/indexgb.html you can see that cgb lists some Banque de France jetons from pretty much every period with different poinçons -- from no poinçon at all (pre-1832; I have one of those) through lampe antique, abeille, main indicatrice etc. for different periods. I don't have my "Gadoury Special: Jetons" book with me, but it lists these marks and the corresponding dates.

I may be wrong, but I don't think there is a way to nail down a specific date when you see just the cornucopia poinçon, or any poinçon for that matter.

Slightly OT side note: The cornucopia is the mark of the Monnaie de Paris, regardless of the location. So even today's coins, made in Pessac, have that horn of plenty ...

Christian

Archived