CoinPeople.com

Rhode Island reedless quarter

Vfox

Just wondering if anyone ran into this before? I got it from change a while back and didn't think much of it, but today I took a weight measurement just to see if it's ground off. The weight was 5.64g, while a regular one comes up 5.69g, well within a tolerance, and is in no way just ground off. Do you think it's worth getting slabbed, or just something to toss on eBay as is? I don't collect errors really, it's a nice Au+, but I don't have a need for it really, so I am thinking of getting rid of it.

4z4ln51.jpg

5x7eg75.jpg

6gda5np.jpg

62ghfo1.jpg

Cool find, V. I've never seen one of those. If they're more uncommon than not, then I'd suggest slabbing it. Since you were concerned about the authenticity, I'd bet others are too. Someone out there would probably prefer to find a slabbed example up for sale than an unslabbed one.

My only concern is the side view slabs are only for the prez dollars arn't they? If I got it slabbed, bye bye edge, lol.

I think his point was it would weigh less if someone had ground off the reeded edge and that because it didn't weigh less, it was likely that it hadn't been ground off...

Indeed. :ninja:

Thanks Matt, I really wasn't sure what I found! Is this sort of this uncommon on state quarters, this is the only one I've come across, and I work with money every day. Too bad it wasn't double struck as well, lol!

Broadstrikes are somewhat common on the older state quarters pre 2002. The installation of the Schuler MRV 300 and Graebener GMP 360 coining presses in 2002 in the philly mint has all but eliminated the striking of error coinage. These replaced the almost 40 year old Bliss coining presses. These presses still allowed a coin to be struck if it was not fed into the press properly. So on state quarters minted 2002 or before broadstrikes are much more common but since the installation of the new presses the number of broadstruck coins has been reduced greatly (tho some do exist). To give you an idea. I went through a $1,000 bag once and found 1 single broadstruck coin, and It looked similar to this one.

Archived