CoinPeople.com

What to expect from rolls from the mint

Acollector

Hi I think this might be my first post. Lately I have bought a few rolls of state quarters from the mint. I was wondering if you had these graded what exactly would you expect. Are the majority of them about ms 63 or 64? How many rolls would it take to have one graded at ms 68 or 69?

Quality in recent years has improved a lot for circulation issue quarters. They

still are frequently banged up but at least the strikes are much improved. Most

of those I see are MS-62/63. MS-64's are not too uncommon. Depending on the

specific issue MS-65 can be anywhere from easy (1 coin per 3 rolls) to exceeding-

ly tough. Higher grades tend to be tough for even the easy dates.

It should be remembered that when you get a roll there is not a good "sample"

in it. Most rolls are composed of only a few die pair over a short run of their

life. If you get many rolls at one time this will usually still be true. This is very

important because gems tend to be found together. You might look at 10,000

rolls from dozens of sources and find only junk but then find 5 gems in the same

roll when you try yet another source.

If you have been to a mint, perhaps it's much easier to understand how coins are made as well as how rough these coins are handled. Modern coins are struck at some 600 coins per second or something and planchets come in terms of caskets and dumped out in HUGE boxes.

This is one of the pictures taken in the Royal Australian Mint, Canberra, Australia

http://www.gxseries.com/gallery/index.php?...07%2Fmint73.jpg

And I hear the production rates in US are MUCH higher than what it is in Australia.

Note how planchets are fed from the top and then coins are then dumped at the bottom.

They are then roughly packed like this:

http://www.gxseries.com/gallery/index.php?...07%2Fmint82.jpg

I personally think that finding MS68-69 from rolls or bags etc are almost impossible.

Archived