CoinPeople.com

What is this?

grivna1726

What is this? :ninja:

"Нагрудный знак "ЛОЦМАН"" (Nagrudnyj znak "LOTsMAN") seems to translate as "Pilot's badge" or something similar.

I'm told that Russia had a small air force in WWI.

Google translates "Нагрудный знак "ЛОЦМАН"" as "Venezuela a "LOTSMAN"", which doesn't make much sense.

Thanks for any assistance. ;)

What is this? ;)

"Нагрудный знак "ЛОЦМАН"" (Nagrudnyj znak "LOTsMAN") seems to translate as "Pilot's badge" or something similar. I'm told that Russia had a small air force in WWI.

You have done an excellent job of translating everything up to "Нагрудный" ...

"Нагрудный" can also mean (adj.) "breast", as in "Нагрудник" (=breastplate). IOW, this was a medal, award, or insignia token of some sort to be worn on the chest.

It certainly had a lot of bids! ;) (click on the link "Показать все заявки" at the right under the price).

Google translates "Нагрудный знак "ЛОЦМАН"" as "Venezuela a "LOTSMAN"", which doesn't make much sense.

:ninja: I always get a good laugh out of Google's feeble attempts at translation! Just about anything one lets Google translate is full of involuntary humour! ;)

You have done an excellent job of translating everything up to "Нагрудный" ...

So I did well until I got to the first word? Woo hoo!!! :D;););):ninja:

"Нагрудный" can also mean (adj.) "breast", as in "Нагрудник" (=breastplate). IOW, this was a medal, award, or insignia token of some sort to be worn on the chest.

I take it that is why it has the 2 holes at the top - so it can be sewn on.

It certainly had a lot of bids! :D (click on the link "Показать все заявки" at the right under the price).

;) I always get a good laugh out of Google's feeble attempts at translation! Just about anything one lets Google translate is full of involuntary humour! :D

Okay, so what does "Lotsman" (ЛОЦМАНЪ) mean, if not "pilot"?

The 11,222.00 RUR ($ 433.33) winning bid seems generous for something in such rough shape. Whatever it is, I assume it is rare. It looks like it was buried in the earth for many years.

So I did well until I got to the first word? Woo hoo!!! :D;););):ninja:

You know, this is ample proof of what living in a foreign country can do to one's own native language! :D

What I *meant* to say is: You did fine with everything except for the word "Нагрудный" ... Obviously (to me, at least) there was no ordering implied. It's high time that I start hanging out more often with English-language native speakers! :D (Nota bene: For German-language speakers, please translate "up to..." as "bis auf...")

The 11,222.00 RUR ($ 433.33) winning bid seems generous for something in such rough shape. Whatever it is, I assume it is rare. It looks like it was buried in the earth for many years.
Indeed ... that is my take of it as well.

Cheers! ;)

You know, this is ample proof of what living in a foreign country can do to one's own native language! ;)

What I *meant* to say is: You did fine with everything except for the word "Нагрудный" ... Obviously (to me, at least) there was no ordering implied.

Okay, thank you. ;) This is like the assumption that one must read from left to right, front to back. It works in some languages, but not so well in others.

Thanks for your help, bobh. ;)

Cheers! :ninja:

I'd say that "navigator" is a more precise translation of "ЛОЦМАН" imho.

My wife could wear that when I'm driving. ;)

She often has her own ideas about what route I should take to get to our destination and is very willing to share them with me. :ninja:

Archived