CoinPeople.com

ID Needed Please

De Orc

I think that this note is a hK 100Y Japanese Occupation Currency but I am not 100% sure so any help would be appreciated Also I need a date for it I know that the Japanese military yen took over from the 26 December 1941 but i dont know what values there where or how many series :ninja:

;)

I think that this note is a hK 100Y Japanese Occupation Currency but I am not 100% sure so any help would be appreciated Also I need a date for it I know that the Japanese military yen took over from the 26 December 1941 but i dont know what values there where or how many series :ninja:

;)

Hey! I have the same note!

This particular note was issued in 1945 and is listed as Pick # M30. My catalog has an UNC value of 2.50, but then again, my catalog is about 10 years old now.

There were similar issues in other denominations. The 5 Yen had two series: M24 was issued in 1938 with 7 characters meaning ‘Bank of Japan Convertible Note’ blocked out on the top, while M27 was issued in 1944 with the characters visible.

The 10 Yen was issued in 1938 only, but there are also two versions. M26 was issued with 7 characters meaning ‘Bank of Japan Convertible Note’ blocked out on the top, while M27 was issued with the characters visible.

The 100 Yen was issued three times, and for use in Hong Kong. The M28 in 1945 was issued with extra Japanese characters going horizontally across the face. There were 4 vertical characters at the left blocked out.

The 100 Yen M29 was issued in 1945 and was the same except for a seal at the left.

The 100 Yen M30 issued in 1945 has the seal of M29, but also has the 4 Japanese characters in a square as yours has. There is no photo in the catalog of the square Japanese characters placement, but it can be inferred by the wording in the catalog. M28 and M29 say Characters across center, while M30 says Characters at center.

There was also a 1000 Yen issued in 1944 for Hong Kong, but the design does not follow the 5, 10 and 100 yen styles.

Archived