CoinPeople.com

Austria: €10 Melk and €5 Mariazell

tabbs

Today the Austrian Mint issues a new €10 collector piece - the "Stift Melk" silver coin. The monastery of Melk, on (or rather above) the river Danube, is an impressive baroque ensemble. The coin shows, on one side, the West façade of the building and, on the other side, the dome of the church combined with the 14c Melk Cross.

thumb26387.gif

A larger image is here:

http://img.pte.at/photo_db/hi_res/hires26387.jpg

What is particularly interesting is the way the dome view was adapted to the shape of the coin. The Melk coin is part of the "Austrian Monasteries" series. In 1994 a 500 schilling silver coin showing the Danube landscape was issued; that coin also shows Melk, but as one part of the scenery.

A few days later, on 9 May, a new €5 silver coin will be issued. It commemorates "850 Years Mariazell" and shows the pilgrimage church in that Styrian town.

1908.jpg1907.jpg

Those who are familiar with Austrian coinage may know Mariazell. :ninja: The church building, or the madonna in that church, were also depicted on these earlier coins: 5 schilling (silver) 1934-36, 100 schilling (gold) 1935-38, 25 schilling (silver) 1957, 500 schilling (silver) 1982.

Both coins can be had at face value from Austrian banks. The special (handgehoben) version is a little more expensive, and the €10 piece is also available in a proof version.

Christian

If I lived a little closer to Austria, or was about to go there, I would not mind getting some for Coinpeeps. But, even Bregenz would be >600 km away ... Actually I ordered mine (the "hgh" blister version) from the Austrian Mint, and paid a little more than face. :ninja:

Christian

Archived