CoinPeople.com

Challenges of OmniCoin

I re-activated my Omnicoin account, but when loading images, it stops about half the time and the images are not loaded. The nice thing about Omnicoin for me is the possibility of making images of coins I am not going to bother creating pages for on my site available, and I have lots of miscellaneous orphans that I would like to put there.

But as of this morning I have the following issues:

1. Cannot load some images at all.

2. When image and description is loaded I have to hit the back button to add another coin, shouldn't there be an Add New Coin button on the last page?

3. Not immediately but sometime it would be nice to have entries for previously existing issuing authorities like Siam and Persia etc.

4. Cannot put alpha characters in the date field, so ca. 1800-1850 is not possible.

Omnicoin is a great idea, and with the above suggestions, could be much easier to use :ninja:

I'm glad that you found some use for OmniCoin, in addition to creating pages on your site. Thanks for your feedback.

1. Cannot load some images at all.

There is a 1 MB file size limit. Make sure that your images are under 1 MB.

2. When image and description is loaded I have to hit the back button to add another coin, shouldn't there be an Add New Coin button on the last page?

When image and description is loaded you see the coin listing in the database as it appears to other as well. Click "My Collection" link at the top to see "Add New Coin"

3. Not immediately but sometime it would be nice to have entries for previously existing issuing authorities like Siam and Persia etc.

I did add some previously existing states in the database where there was no closely matching existing country, in other cases I'd prefer to use an existing country to prevent confusion. I do not edit submitted entries, so having fewer countries helps to avoid duplication and hopefully simplifies searching as well.

4. Cannot put alpha characters in the date field, so ca. 1800-1850 is not possible.

Having the date field as numeric allows sorting by date.

When image and description is loaded you see the coin listing in the database as it appears to other as well. Click "My Collection" link at the top to see "Add New Coin"

Having the date field as numeric allows sorting by date.

Actually #2 maybe a Firefox issue, I will have to try in IE and see what happens.

Only issue with number 4 is that before dated coins you run into date ranges. Maybe I will try leaving it blank and putting the date range in the description.

Mainly I raised these issues because I have several ancients that really are not categorized, and my site will not be updated until I take care of all the W3C compliance issues with it so that it will work with XHTML. So I want to put the miscellaneous stuff on Omnicoin and the banknotes on BNB.

Archived