CoinPeople.com

Possible Variation on a Liberty Dollar

RCH07

Going through some of my coins, and I noticed that the lower portion of the D in Dollar on the Reverse of a 1878 Silver Dollar was missing. I am wondering if this is a true varitiy or a defect possibly caused by dirt or grease in the stamping process.

Does anyone have any information on this , and is it a common occurance? I am attaching a picture to better show what I have.

what works best for me is having an omnicoin.com account to post my collection (or as much as I have time to post). It 1) allows others to check out what I have and 2) makes it very easy to post pics in threads.

Once you have it set up and the image posted in your collection, click on the image until you can't anymore. Now, RIGHT CLICK on the image and open it up in its own window. It will have its own URL similar to this one:

http://www.omnicoin.com/coins/917650.jpg

All you have to do is use the image feature when posting and use that link like this:

917650.jpg

And it should be posted easily!

I hope that is easy to follow. It took me a bunch of tries to figure it out too.

what works best for me is having an omnicoin.com account to post my collection (or as much as I have time to post). It 1) allows others to check out what I have and 2) makes it very easy to post pics in threads.

Once you have it set up and the image posted in your collection, click on the image until you can't anymore. Now, RIGHT CLICK on the image and open it up in its own window. It will have its own URL similar to this one:

http://www.omnicoin.com/coins/917650.jpg

All you have to do is use the image feature when posting and use that link like this:

917650.jpg

And it should be posted easily!

I hope that is easy to follow. It took me a bunch of tries to figure it out too.

Ok, let me attempt to get the photo in. It isn't as clear as yours but hopefully it will be enough

http://www.omnicoin.com/coin_view_enlarge.aspx?id=920199

Thanks for your help, At least I am now on Omnicoin.

I can't find a reference to a missing section of the D. On a 1878 I would suggest checking closely for doubling.

Vamworld 1878 list

Thanks for the location on were to look. I did go to the Vamworld site and it would appear that this coin might be a 1878-P-Vam-195. I don't know if this adds any value to the coin but its still interesting. I will be checking this coin closer to see if there are any of the other indicators for this Vam.

Thanks for the location on were to look. I did go to the Vamworld site and it would appear that this coin might be a 1878-P-Vam-195. I don't know if this adds any value to the coin but its still interesting. I will be checking this coin closer to see if there are any of the other indicators for this Vam.

Ah, I missed that. I wonder what the other one (1878-P VAM-195A broken D) has. The main ones that may show a added value are the hot 50 and top 100.

Ah, I missed that. I wonder what the other one (1878-P VAM-195A broken D) has. The main ones that may show a added value are the hot 50 and top 100.

The value isn't that important. I have checked the coin for any of the other details for the VAM-195 and I don't see them. The only thing is the missing bottom portion of the D. I guess that this may be a slight vam and not show all the issues related to the ones pointed out on the vam site. It may be possible that the 195A may be the one I have and it doesn't appear to be linked.

Thanks to all for your help on this coin. Very interesting that I have had this coin for about five years and never noticed it before.

Archived