CoinPeople.com

ES €2 + €12 Don Quijote

tabbs

400 years ago Miguel de Cervantes published his famous novel Don Quijote (or Don Quixote). The Spanish Mint (FNMT-RCM) has issued several collector and commemorative coins on that occasion.

Earlier this year five proof coins were issued - three different "8 reales" pieces with a face value of €10 each, one "cincuentín" (face value €50), and one "8 escudos" coin (face value €400, gold). Mintages were quite limited - between 18,000 and 3,000 pieces - , and the (proof only) coins were pretty expensive. I listed these coins in an earlier thread.

Now there are two new pieces, a 12€ collector coin and a €2 commemorative coin. (The coins look a little "used" or blurry, but - oh well.) Both can be had at face value in Spain, and the latter may well circulate in Euroland just like the regular €2 coins.

The two coins are also available combined in a neat folder. Here is a picture of the front page (right) and the back (left):

es05_folder_a.jpg

These are the two "inner" pages of the folder:

es05_folder_i.jpg

(Please note that none of the four images is mine.) The front page shows an original 1605 cover of the book; see this page: http://www.donquijotedelamancha2005.com/descarga.php

Mintage of the €12 coin is 4 million, I think. Total mintage planned for the €2 piece is 8 million; the coin will also be part of various other mint sets and coin/stamp sets.

Christian

• 2 weeks later...
I am getting some of these myself. They look somewhat comical. Like something from Asterix!

Quite appropriate methinks ... Don Quijote is a comical (and to some extent tragicomical) figure. :ninja:

As for the two inscription types you mention in the sale thread, that has interestingly never really been an issue around here since the two edge orientation types are pretty normal. (The edge, including the lettering, is made before the two sides get their "faces", and which side is up or down is due to pure coincidence.) But in some Mediterranean countries that was apparently new, so you often see "Type A" and "Type B" mentioned at French, Italian, etc. sites.

Christian