CoinPeople.com

DIY Errors?

syzygy

This caught my eye from a post in another newsgroup.

Link

The seller acknowledges that it is not genuine (allthough some of the buyers thinkthey are according to some feedback comments). Take a look at a few other past auctions (each time the seller acknowledges that they are not believed to be legitimate mint errors...Ignoring any moral aspects of these for the moment...Some of these added impressions are incuse and that seems to be easy to accomplish. Others, however, are not incuse - makes me wonder how they were done. Matt? Anyone? What do you think?

link

link

link

link

If it's done with a press he probably takes the coin, presses it into soft brass to get the first reverse impression, and then uses that brass "die" to stamp into the coin. Although the rims look undamaged. Either way, they are really neat alterations.

if someone was stamping them like that and selling them( but saying they were altered) can they still get in trouble

Yes and no.

He is defacing government property, but I doubt they care because he isn't really messing them up enough to get their attention. And as long as he claims they are altered post mint, he is relatively safe in the collector community as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived