CoinPeople.com

Scots commemorative banknotes.

Guest Aidan Work

Guest Aidan Work

Here's a section where we can all talk about the commemorative banknotes of Scotland,especially the commemorative 1 & 5 Quid notes that have been issued by the Royal Bank of Scotland Plc.It would be very good if the Royal Bank of Scotland Plc. will be issuing a note to commemorate the Tercentenary of the Union of the Kingdom of England & the Kingdom of Scotland in 1707 to form the United Kingdom of Great Britain.

Aidan.

I'm rather fond of these notes. I like the Clydesdale Bank and the RBS notes both. They are usually well done and have decent subjects and artwork. The only thing I don't like about them is the usualy high cost. I had seen only a couple of the St. Andrews Golf Course 5-ers, and they were too expensive. I finally found one, after many months, that had been offered at a decent price, so I nabbed it. Glad I did, too. Given that they aren't offered as much as the Jack Nicklaus, I didn't want to wait too long. As for the Jack Nicklaus notes ... I just plain don't like the design. It's about the only one I don't care for, though. The Alexander Graham Bell, Rob't Burns, Rob't the Bruce, et. al., are very nice indeed.

Edit: Embarrassing Faulty Name Recall.

Any such commemoration of the Act of Union will be controversial, public institutions tend avoid such controversy as it could cause ill favour. Whilst many Scots have not negative opins of QE and QETQM, any other association with England might indeed be found not in such high esteem with the average Scot.

There really are way too many commemorative issues emanating from each of the three institutions, few of any of which in my opinion are suitable for commems, other than to proffer off quite profit making ventures off on a gullible public.

In my reckoning the following have been worthwhile:

300th anniversary of Bank of Scotland

50th Anniversary of Queen Elizabeth's reign

100th birthday of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother.

200th Anniversary of Robert Burn's death:

cly596.jpg

And some of the lesser importance, as in should we commemorate the Prince Charles wedding with horsey face, whoops I mean Camilla:

Jack Nicklaus, purely aimed at profiteering from golf afficianados

Commonwealth Heads of Government mtg in Edin.

Glasgow UK City of Architecture and Design:

cly2099.jpg

Some of the commems have been stunningly beautiful, as in the case of the Glasgow University commems, but at £150 for a set, forget about it.

I think it was the commems that finally convinced me to go back to purely collecting Scottish coins and giving up on the banknotes at least the new ones, but auld ones I love:

nbs2045.jpg

Or older and rarer:

nor116.jpg

Or even older and bolder:

sto11823.jpg

As for the Arnold Palmer notes ... I just plain don't like the design. It's about the only one I don't care for, though. The Alexander Graham Bell, Rob't Burns, Rob't the Bruce, et. al., are very nice indeed.

I do indeed believe you refer to Jack Nicklaus and not Arnold Palmer. :ninja:

Guest Aidan Work
An' how could I forget this lovely lass proudly hailing from Inverness:

caledonian.jpg

Near and dear to me, the Scots in my history hailed from Inverness.

That is a very nice note.There aren't very many notes that have a Scots-Gaelic language inscription on them.

The most difficult note I found hard to find in terms of Scots commemorative issues,was the Royal Bank of Scotland Plc.'s 2005 issue commemorating the Tercentenary of the Royal College of Surgeons,Edinburgh.I eventually got the note,as my boss bought 2 of them while in London a few months ago.

Aidan.

Archived